Fifty Five

I was planning on painting it with a flashlight.

Mishele, and the other square crop proponents...feel free to give it a shot. I don't think it helps much. The more I look at the image, the more it just looks flat too me. I think it is the grey day, and this might be better served during the golden hour.

The first photo is a bit flat. Tested how a simple run through PS Auto Contrasts (i.e. one second of pp-ing that one) would help, and it does quite a bit. The photo becomes instantly brighter (sky, which you might not want to happen!) and more intense. Though I still don't like how the line of the parking-lot-55 runs through the high-rise-55. Which is why I prefer the last of the photos shown in this thread. Nicely aligned! But that one looks like it could benefit from the PS Auto Contrasts, too (just assuming).

I also like the second and the buildings forming some sort of "steps", but I miss the high-rise-55 (which is hidden behind the parking-lot-55, I think).

I love this picture. I think it is simple, bold, and clean. It has a real 60s feel to it.

Well, yes, but sunsets and sailboat silhouettes (very cliché subjects, by the way) will make most stop, look and think "Oh, how beee-yuuu-tiful!".
There is a lot to be said for any attempt to make something totally different from the cliché-"how-beautiful"-scenes worth the while looking at them! The first 55-photo doesn't do it for me, either, as it is flat (like I said), but the idea of playing around, creating different views of those two numbers isn't too bad, at all. I like it.

I prefer the first one posted to the others. I disagree that you have to know anything about the building to appreciate the photo. I live just outside Cleveland and I don't know the significance of the '55 building.' What makes it good (imo) is that you look at it and it makes you think "what's with the 55?"

Or maybe I'm just a 'fanboy'

Yeah, the sunsets...

4930772277_30f3af16d0_o.jpg

4930772431_eae91f66a6_o.jpg

See, the thing is, I don't care much for sunsets, or landscapes for that matter. I am trying to word this carefully, cuz I don't want it taken the wrong way. To me, they are all cliche. They are not *me* showing you what I see in the world. Typically when I go shooting, I go with a few friends. With the sunsets, that's what they wanted to shoot. I was bored. It just wasn't very engaging to me. Yes I grabbed a few shots, and you seem to like them. My friends shots were much better, and they had more. But they have an eye for landscapes. Later in the night, I was in *my* element and grabbed things they walked right past.

Like this:

4931420919_45becb0c5d_o.jpg

or the moon under the bridge shot. I look for images like the above that are busy or cause visual confusion. I like to think it is Escheresque. See the shot currently in the General Gallery. I see compositions, like the stairwell shot posted in the past.

I post images in this forum, that I am unsure of. Images I like, but aren't quite there. I AM still learning, and find it helpful to get others opinions. KP007, you went on and on stating that image (in th OP) is bad. I need to find out why. That's how we improve. Don't hold people to the standard of the images they post should be "defining moments". I will post what I feel are strong images in the General Gallery, and those that I am unsure of here.

LaPhoto, care to post up edits? I'd like to see your point of view. I feared taking these shots too far in post. But I agree, they do not "pop".

Reznap, there really is nothing special about the '55' building other than it keeps popping up in my photo safaris. 55 is actually the address. It's 55 Public Square. I think it's funny that it's known as the 55 building, as most buildings have names. The building is great for reflections in the windows of other buildings downtown.

*eyeroll* Wow.

Bitter I like your new avatar. I give you props on being able to start a 10-20 page thread off one pic. ;)

No. You have not sucessfully proved your point Your image is not part of a series, and is just a snapshot with no real thought behind it. There is nothing interesting about it.

At this point I will mention that if you have to keep pointing out that you are not trolling...

Edit: I also want to point out you haven't answered my questions to you KPOo7.

Last edited:
Here Bitter I think I just raped your picture......lol But I had fun messing w/ it! lol
5024242812_e50225007b_b00.jpg

Now I remember why earlier on I stopped editing your first photo here, BJ: it's because I always get that bright vignette-like edge on the right... but anyhow, as you wanted to see...

bjfiftyfivemyedit.jpg

I worked on that small photo of yours ... and I'm not sure it "speaks" more ...?

Here Bitter I think I just raped your picture......lol But I had fun messing w/ it! lol

Looks like you started to rape it but didn't finish...

GulTw.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back