What's new

Figured out what I enjoy photographing

But where would you find strong lines in nature? I'm not much interested in urban auto photography. Taking the truck off-road to find beautiful landscape backgrounds is half the fun for me.

I wish I had an answer to this question :) We all have different tastes, but to me personally cars and nature do not go well together in a photograph. To me cars are urban animals, they are curved and demand a background with straight lines and polygons. Otherwise I am lost. Problem is - there are no straight lines in nature ( except probably sun rays). Virtually all straight lines are man made. Everything is more or less curved in nature ( I gues scientists will tel you that sun rays are also curved :wink:).
I am absolutely hopeless in creating a decent photo of a car in a natural environment. I can drive it to a lake or a forest, but I do not see a picture. Or, I see a picture, but it is just a car. And the trees. They never blend together in one single image. So i do not see a picture that is worth taking.
Here is the closest I can get to a car with trees in the background :) ( But that of course only shows how differently we all see things. I am sure there are some jaw dropping images of cars in a forest or at a lake, but it is just not my cup of tea.)


$SF Parking _web.webp
 
Last edited:
Personally I love your #6. Nice truck! Auto photography is hard (ask me how I know :D), but getting "that shot" is truly extraordinarily satisfying. Keep putting in the hard work and learning and you will get there. I learn something new everyday. Usually more than one thing! LOL.
 
Hey SCullet,

Great photos for starters. I particularly like the 2 photos with the lake as a backdrop. It makes the truck really stand out, a bit like in a TV advert.

The other one I like is the mirror reflection, and if you want to go really creative you could get really close up and use the vehicle's curves and those chrome bumpers to capture reflections that will distort the image in a creative way. I've done this at car shows where I used a sloping car wing - say a Jaguar XK120 or something similar and captured a reflection of another classic car within it. You could also try taking close ups of the truck's front grille at different angles and so on. Hopefully that's food for thought.

Your wildlife images are good too. Nice crisp clear images.

Look forward to seeing more!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom