Film as a learning tool...

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by cepwin, May 20, 2012.

1. cepwin

cepwin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Wow...I've seem to have started a very interesting discussion. @spacefuzz....oh yes..please post your results...I'm sure a lot of people would love to see them, myself included. @gsgary..wonderful pix of your dog..pin sharp with beautiful bokeh and nice detail even in the shadows. It confirms what I saw in the three color images I bought. This gentleman got incredible dynamic range...no special tricks or processing required..he just knows how to process color expertly and use long exposure to his advantage. To get the results he did in digital you'd probably need to use HDR or other processing techniques. Also..from what I'm seeing film is doing anything *but* dying especially in the fine art community. I didn't speak with one fine art photographer who was shooting digital although I'm hearing that some of those folks are at least peaking at the 36mp D800. Obviously in other areas like wedding/portrait where you're dealing with volume or sports/news where fast turnaround is important digital is the way to go. As I said earlier...if I try this route I'd try making the negatives myself both to save $$ and to get that experience...the experience like putting the card in the card reader to see what comes up but on steroids.

Point of correction: I am just looking at an article on the future of film and apparently some wedding photographers *are* turning back to film to differentiate themselves from the competition..interesting.
    The Future of Film ( link originally in the "future of film" thread.)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. cepwin

cepwin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well...I broke down and found a working Nikon FG for $60 on ebay .. it will work with at least two of the lenses I already have so hopefully I'll be ready to go.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want that, why fake it, just shoot the real damn thing?

• Like Like x 1
  4. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree!

The instant feedback that digital gives you, along with the $0.0 per shot on-going costs, allows one to learn the basics of photography far faster and more cheaply then with film.

Once you've mastered the technical aspects of photography (exposure, lighting, and composition), film can help slow you down and cure any spray-n-pray tendencies you have.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cepwin

cepwin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, hopefully I'll find it worthwhile.....it will at the very least be a nice change of pace..

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're still learning photography in general - take notes when you're shooting film. Make a little log sheet - 'frame 1, f/4; 1/125; 50mm; ISO 100; metered for shadows', etc.

7. BlueMeanieTSi

BlueMeanieTSi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I work for Fuji, the price increase is because they closed all but I believe one film plant and scaled back production. The medical film business has been keeping that side alive through the digital age but less and less Dr offices are requiring film so nobody prints.

8. Arpeggio9

Arpeggio9 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shooting film has been a great learning tool for me because the process is helping me see the picture inside my head before I press the shutter and afterwards. I used to shoot digital and having that instant feedback did not help me with visualization as much as film process does. It's really taken my photo thinking to a whole new level and I am liking it a lot. As time goes by, I am shooting less and less, but with better and more substantial results because of that visualization. 6 months ago, I would have never imagined that I would be able to shoot without a light meter. I blame film for that ;)... It helps me with that "being in the moment" kind of thing.

9. cepwin

cepwin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the log sheet idea....I'll have to find the discipline to do it. Yes, I've heard that visualizing the shot is important...the people who are good do that from what I understand. Sounds like another thing to focus on when I"m experimenting with film.

10. spacefuzz

spacefuzz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm I havnt seen film making a come back in the landscape / art fair community I am plugged into. I still see people using 4x5 or 8x10 film setups....but usually its setup right next to their digital camera.

I will be including some film shots in my next show not because I think its better....but its a very effective marketing device and people seem to like hearing I still use film.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL same here. My business cards say FILM PHOTOGRAPHER on them and it's spiked up business since I changed it to that. :\

12. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I think people assume that you know what you're doing if you use film.

Film is "hard" to the people that grew up without ever using it.

• Like Like x 2