Film Camera for $50 "Canadian"

I have nothing against the K1000 but my opinion is they are currently overpriced. Any of the other K-series models would be a better choice and usually cost less (assuming proper working condition).
True......we sold a Pentax Kx for well under what we sell the K1000 for.

And agree on the older models.

From wiki....
Production of the largely hand assembled camera was moved from Japan, first to Hong Kong in 1978 and then to China in 1990, to keep labor costs down. The "Asahi" name and "AOCo" logo was removed from the pentaprism cover to de-emphasize the company name in keeping with the rest of the "Pentax" line. The meter components changed as Asahi Optical searched for suitable supplies. The metal in the wind shaft was downgraded from steel. Cheaper plastic was substituted for the originally satin-chromed brass top and bottom plates and aluminum and steel film rewind assembly.[8] Note that the use of lighter plastic lowered the weight of the Chinese-assembled K1000s to 525 g.

True......we sold a Pentax Kx for well under what we sell the K1000 for.

And agree on the older models.

From wiki....
Production of the largely hand assembled camera was moved from Japan, first to Hong Kong in 1978 and then to China in 1990, to keep labor costs down. The "Asahi" name and "AOCo" logo was removed from the pentaprism cover to de-emphasize the company name in keeping with the rest of the "Pentax" line. The meter components changed as Asahi Optical searched for suitable supplies. The metal in the wind shaft was downgraded from steel. Cheaper plastic was substituted for the originally satin-chromed brass top and bottom plates and aluminum and steel film rewind assembly.[8] Note that the use of lighter plastic lowered the weight of the Chinese-assembled K1000s to 525 g.

I will have to check mine when I get home to confirm, but I bought it in Jan 1993, and that thing went through a LOT and never flinched. The worst was maybe 6-7 years ago - so it was going for about 25 years already - when I was standing on a low wall and dropped it onto concrete. It got a tiny crack on the top plate where the corner hit the ground, and that didn't make any lick of difference in the functioning of the camera. I decided to get it serviced after a few months just in case and got the top plate replaced.

So I either got one that was sold after 1990 but manufactured before 1990, or "not a tank" is a relative term. ;)

Reactions: cgw
Sadly so many film rookies sucker for barely functioning relics pitched as superior for their reputed reliability. With repair resources scarce, it's bonkers to lay much down for those. Better bets might be strong selling mid-market or better 70s-80s MF SLRS from major makers. Buy two if you love 'em. That's been my MO.

Sadly so many film rookies sucker for barely functioning relics pitched as superior for their reputed reliability. With repair resources scarce, it's bonkers to lay much down for those. Better bets might be strong selling mid-market or better 70s-80s MF SLRS from major makers. Buy two if you love 'em. That's been my MO.
I still have the ME Super. $75 for the K1000/body only seems fair.

I did do a lot of reading on the Contaflex, and it also tempts me.

So does the T70, I must admit.

I did do a lot of reading on the Contaflex, and it also tempts me.
I love German-made cameras too including the Contaflex but you should know that there are only a few lenses that will fit it. On the other hand, the K-mount cameras like those made by Pentax, Ricoh and others have hundreds of lenses that can be mounted on them.

Also, the Contaflex does not have an instant return mirror. That means the viewfinder blacks out when the shutter is released and stays that way until the shutter is cocked again. This was standard for many early 35mm SLRs (and many medium format SLRs) and may be unnerving to someone not accustomed to it.

I love German-made cameras too including the Contaflex but you should know that there are only a few lenses that will fit it. On the other hand, the K-mount cameras like those made by Pentax, Ricoh and others have hundreds of lenses that can be mounted on them.

Also, the Contaflex does not have an instant return mirror. That means the viewfinder blacks out when the shutter is released and stays that way until the shutter is cocked again. This was standard for many early 35mm SLRs (and many medium format SLRs) and may be unnerving to someone not accustomed to it.
Good information. I'm not familiar w/the German-made cameras. No need to get "unnerved"!

Your thoughts on the T70? Anyone??

Another draw back to the P3 is you can not set the ASA/ISO manually. Since I never shoot at the intended ISO that would bug me.

Manual if curious.... http://web.mit.edu/sp.747/www/P3camera.pdf

The P30 is a nice camera, I have a body, but as you say the downside is they rely on DX coding, so you can't set the ISO to your own choice. My nephew used the P30 for over 10 years, I was given it back last year still in excellent condition.

Of the cameras on the list I'd go for a P30 (P3 in the US/Canada), aside from the K1000, it would be the most reliable. Reality is though I can buy many excellent cameras for around £30/$50 Can at the Camera Fair I go to, and a very wide choice as well. An example bought a near mint Pentax SV with a f2 55mm SMC Takumar and meter for £10 18 months ago just over $16 Can.

Ian

The P30 is a nice camera, I have a body, but as you say the downside is they rely on DX coding, so you can't set the ISO to your own choice. My nephew used the P30 for over 10 years, I was given it back last year still in excellent condition.

Of the cameras on the list I'd go for a P30 (P3 in the US/Canada), aside from the K1000, it would be the most reliable. Reality is though I can buy many excellent cameras for around £30/$50 Can at the Camera Fair I go to, and a very wide choice as well. An example bought a near mint Pentax SV with a f2 55mm SMC Takumar and meter for £10 18 months ago just over $16 Can.

Ian
Wish we had a Camera Fair here! I have found a few freebies - mostly P&S film camera's from the 80s/90s - but most are quite nice - glass lenses, in good shape. Seniors giving them away. Great way for me to get my kids exposed to analog!

I won’t argue the K1000. I don’t have one but man it seems that everyone who does loves them. I’m a Canon guy and my T70 works great. Can be fully auto or manual or little of both. Was a little bit of a learning curve moving to it from an AE-1. Menu is digital and can be a little slow changing settings. I haven’t used it in a while and have been thinking I need to drag it out. This has made me decide it will be the next one I use. And there is tons of FD lenses out there. If you do go with the T-70 and are willing to pay shipping I have some off brand lenses I’ll give you.

Most reactions

Back