Film Cameras... what to get?

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm kind of looking into getting a used film camera to experiment with film (after all people say you learn more using film... and i wanna learn). Should i get a manual 35mm or one of those... more advanced ones? my dad has an EOS 630, but it's a little damaged and repairing it would cost more than just buying a new used one.

I've been seeing cheap canon AE-1s (with 50mm lens) for like... $10 on ebay... with the 50mm lens... would that be a good camera to invest in? or i was thinking, since i use a nikon D60 for digital photography, i should get a nikon film camera (sharing lenses, etc.)... i've been seeing relatively cheap nikon FMs (no lens) too, for like.. $30? i dont know but all these prices seem too good to be true, as if they were damaged or something... but the descriptions say they're in working order.

i guess i should list the equipment i already have.
-Canon EOS 630
-Canon EF 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 (on the E0S 630)
-Vivitar Flash for the EOS 630
-Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 (d60's kit lens)
-Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 HSM (for nikon d60)
-SB-600

what do you guys think? my dad told me to sell his camera and use it towards other equipment. i'm really liking that $10 AE-1 + 50mm lens deal, but then again, i use a nikon for digital... :S

I say go with the Canons. I bought my Nikon FM for a quite bit over a hundred with a 50mm f/2.0, if you are seeing them for $30 with out a lens there is something wrong with it. I don't think that 50mm f/2 is worth a hundred bucks, nice lens but not a lens that would push the camera price up that much.

The AE-1 is a good camera and should out last your exparimental stage. I used one for a back up for quite some time before retiring it for another EF.

The AE-1 is FD mount. Not EF mount. SO your current EF lens would not work. If its something you want to use just to learn on and don't plan to use "forever", just grab a cheap one like the rebel film series or the Nikon equivalent.

yeah, i was looking into getting a 35mm manual camera. i just dont know whether to get the Nikon FM or Canon AE-1... and the prices i'm seeing these for seem SO sketchy. I'm thinking that with the Nikon FM, I can use my lenses i have now AND the lenses i buy in the future. With the Canon AE-1, I'd have to buy Canon lenses... which equals to more money spent.

Canon's FD lenses are at far lower demand than Nikons making them far less expencive, additionally with the Canon FD mount depreciation is minimal....meaning that when you get to a point where you decide you no longer want to use the FD system it can be resold at or pretty close to the same price you originally paid for them and break even on the gear.

really? hummm then maybe the AE-1 isnt so bad. i'm seeing them for like $10-30 with the 50mm f1.8 lens... is that a sketchy price?

Anywhere from 20 to 50 should proove ok, It's a common camera but it did have some flaws that resulted in breaks too so you will have to watch for that.

I have a Minolta X700 which is manual focus but has AV, TV, and P modes as well as full manual. My lenses are all Minolta: 80-200mm f3.9, 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f2.8.

The punchline: All these lenses sell for nothing on ebay. (Literally -I see them listed for $10 and no one bids!) I had an 85mm for this camera that I sold for over $200, but that was the only one that was pricey. (I use the money toward my EF 70-200 Canon lens.) In my opinion this Minolta lenses are probably better glass and better build quality than any of the lenses you listed -except the Tamron.

humm i'll keep the option of the minolta open, i'm liking the cheap price of the AE-1... especially since i'm gonna be experimenting with film, it's probably better to start off with something cheap. you guys have been great help, really. :]

i'm still open for suggestions, so if anyone has any, then feel free to post!

btw, does anyone know how much that canon EOS 630 and the EF 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 would go for nowadays? i'm gonna see if i can cover the cost of the AE-1 with it.

oh hey, i stumbled upon a $10 pentax superprogram just now.... does anyone know anything about this?

Over the years I've had the Canon A-1 AL-1 AE-1 and a Elan7, I've also had a boat load of Nikon's FM2, 2000, 2020, 6006, 8008, F4s. IMO I would buy a 8008 or a 6006 they can be picked up on the cheap and you can use the lenses on your DSLR. On the other hand if you buy a Canon. I would look at the Elan line. Once you collect a few lenses for it you might find a deal down the road on a 30 or 40D to play with. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for my old Canon A body's but once you start buying lenses for it, it might start to bum you out not being able to use that $30 50 1.4 on your DSLR..lol

Over the years I've had the Canon A-1 AL-1 AE-1 and a Elan7, I've also had a boat load of Nikon's FM2, 2000, 2020, 6006, 8008, F4s. IMO I would buy a 8008 or a 6006 they can be picked up on the cheap and you can use the lenses on your DSLR. On the other hand if you buy a Canon. I would look at the Elan line. Once you collect a few lenses for it you might find a deal down the road on a 30 or 40D to play with. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for my old Canon A body's but once you start buying lenses for it, it might start to bum you out not being able to use that $30 50 1.4 on your DSLR..lol

Easy solution to that is buy a film enabled scanner and make all your shots through that $30 50mm 1.4 digital. I've been doing it for years.

Shot with Canon FD 50mm 1.4 on Canon EF

Shot with Canon FD 50mm 1.4 on Canon Bellows FL on Canon EF

Old Nikons are nice because the lens mount is the same as your d60. Just make sure your lenses have an aperture ring and are full-frame.

Most reactions

Back