Film in a digital world?

Willieboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an OM1, with a an extra zoom lense and other stuff, all in excellent condition. The only thing the OM1 needs is that foam lining material that block light (I guess) that has deteriorated over the years. The only other camera I have is an Olympus Stylus 300. In deciding what to do with the SLR, I thought I'd ask, is there a place for a film camera in a digital world? Why do you guys still use film versus bits and bytes?

Is there a market for film cameras?

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Bill

Hell yea there is. as long as there are people that enjoy shooting film, there will be a market for it.
is there a place for written letters in a world of email and IM? I can still buy stamps so I guess there is.
people are starting to reinvest in film. especially higher quality formats.

It's not about film vs. digital.

It is really using many different medium to form/produce/capture/present a visual image.

I shoot digital and film ... I also like to draw/sketch and paint.

Monetary market ?
Yes, and no. There are some film cameras/lenses that are worth a lot ... but most are not.

Very punny.

Here's a digital reply ===> :thumbdown:

:)

Last edited:
Look at your hands, man!
Coincident in English language. We need wider horizons than that.
Digital world runs only on computers, currently the best mankind can do to simulate real, analog world. There is no other.

Last edited:
Hell yea there is. as long as there are people that enjoy shooting film, there will be a market for it.
is there a place for written letters in a world of email and IM? I can still buy stamps so I guess there is.

I wouldn't exactly call that an even comparison. Email and IM are used for different purposes than written letters. You can't sign or notarize an email or IM(You can digitally sign a form on a website, but the weight of a notarized letter still dominates anything else) . With film vs digital, they both do the exact same thing and are used for the exact same purpose, one being much more convenient and easier to use. A better comparison would be a typewriter vs a computer.

I wouldn't exactly call that an even comparison. Email and IM are used for different purposes than written letters. You can't sign or notarize an email or IM(You can digitally sign a form on a website, but the weight of a notarized letter still dominates anything else) . With film vs digital, they both do the exact same thing and are used for the exact same purpose, one being much more convenient and easier to use. A better comparison would be a typewriter vs a computer.

You can sign an email or IM message cryptographically (using PGP, for example). The same concepts of trust and verification apply as they do in the "real world".

Film in a digital world?

Digital world?

I went outside and took a walk and I didn't see one thing that was digital.

Where is this world of yours? ;)

NYC
Vegas
Chicago
Tokyo

All I saw in Vegas last time I was there was fancy analog screens driven by digital computers. "Digital" anything cannot be perceived directly by a human. It must be converted to analog signals before we can make any sense of it.

Film is nice in that it makes permanent images on a good, solid film base that keeps well over decades if stored properly and with a modicum of forethought. It's good to have at least a few important pictures committed to color transparency film, or to well-processed black and white negatives.

OP, all up to you. Some like old school, others don't. I gave up film 100%. Would never go back. I sold all my old stuff on ebay. didn't get much for film equip, but some $$ to buy mem cards and ink.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back