Film negatives?

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure how many people here know what a vector image is but essentially it's able to e blown up to any size without the lines, curves or other features becoming low res unlike a photo.

My question is, are film negatives the same way? And dslrs are like raster images that have a limit?

This may be way off or wrong but I've always thought of negatives as vector. I don't know why.

no, you have thought incorrectly.
film negatives are composed of discrete crystals, just as digital images are composed of pixels.
Each have a size beyond which the image will be perceived as 'fuzzy' or unfocused.

no, you have thought incorrectly.
film negatives are composed of discrete grains of crystals, just as digital images are composed of pixels.
Each have a size beyond which the image will be perceived as 'fuzzy' or unfocused.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm not sure how many people here know what a vector image is but essentially it's able to e blown up to any size without the lines, curves or other features becoming low res unlike a photo.

My question is, are film negatives the same way?

Nope the bigger you take the negative the bigger the grain will be and the bigger any flaws in the negative will appear.

There is a reason that many film photographers will use large format cameras. you can print a LOT bigger from a 4x5 inch negative or 8x10 inch negative then you could with a 35mm negative.

Nope the bigger you take the negative the bigger the grain will be and the bigger any flaws in the negative will appear.

There is a reason that many film photographers will use large format cameras. you can print a LOT bigger from a 4x5 inch negative or 8x10 inch negative then you could with a 35mm negative.

Dang! With a negative the size a print it's no wonder. Thanks again! I don't know much on the film end.

Dang! With a negative the size a print it's no wonder. Thanks again! I don't know much on the film end.

Large format is GREAT!!!

Most reactions

Back