Film newbie questions

ferny said:
What's diafine treatment?

doxx takes 400 speed tri-x and pushes it to 1600 then developes using diafine. look it up on B and H. his pics have a certain quality to them, a little grainy, but alot of contrast and highs and lows in the shadows.

md

MDowdey said:
god i love it when you call me that :oops: . i would love one that will do 120, but my 35mm rangefinders are more important to me right now.

i just dont want to spend too much money if im not really going to get into it.

what did you think about that particular model, if i was to only do 35mm..

md

:)

Umm I don't know anything specific about the Cadet II, but Beseler is a good brand of course. But seriously check ebay! You can get some great deals. I got mine (Omega B600, does both) for $50 and it even came with some other stuff.

It doesn't like like that set includes chems, just empty bottles, which you will need.

MDowdey said:
what do the guru's think about a startup like this?

md

All new enlarging equipment is going to cost a lot more than used stuff these days. For $250 you should be able to get a better used enlarger on Ebay with many of the fixin's included. Look for one that does 120 too.

Thanks Orie!

MDowdey said:
ferny said:
What's diafine treatment?

doxx takes 400 speed tri-x and pushes it to 1600 then developes using diafine. look it up on B and H. his pics have a certain quality to them, a little grainy, but alot of contrast and highs and lows in the shadows.

md

Technically it's not a push to shoot Tri-X 35mm at 1600 when developing in Diafine. That's the manufacturer's reccomended speed, although I think it's really closer to ISO 1250. Most traditional BW films double in speed when developed in Diafine. Tabular grain emulsions (Tmax and Delta) don't get quite as much extra speed. You can't really alter development with Diafine. Neither time nor temp is supposed to have much effect. On the other hand, because it's a 2 bath developer, it handles contrast very well. If you are looking for an "idiot proof" developer it's hard to go wrong with Diafine. Just search for articles about it on the web; there is alot of info out there, and it's all about the same. I use it for low light photography, and I really like it.

oriecat said:
danalec99 said:
Just wanted to know if I am doing alright:

1. Tank
2. Changing bag
3. Thermometer

-What else do I need from here?
-Do you go after any particular brands? (I would prefer stainless steel)

Looking good, Dan! You'll also want some graduates for measuring.

I don’t think stainless tanks will hold the adjustable reels. So you may a need 120 and 35mm reel.

Jeff Canes said:
oriecat said:
danalec99 said:
Just wanted to know if I am doing alright:

1. Tank
2. Changing bag
3. Thermometer

-What else do I need from here?
-Do you go after any particular brands? (I would prefer stainless steel)

Looking good, Dan! You'll also want some graduates for measuring.

I don’t think stainless tanks will hold the adjustable reels. So you may a need 120 and 35mm reel.
I'm sorry, I missed this post. :oops:

Do I need both 120 and the 35mm reel if I'm sticking with the just the 35mm? I do not have a MF camera yet.

Thanks orie.... excuse the dumb question. :)

Yep, can't wait to get it. Will defenitely post pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back