Film or digital look? What your clients say?

hulk2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've consistently going back and forth from capture one pro to Lightroom and VSCO film emulators and haven't decided yet what style should I stick to. I am new in the business mostly shooting wedding, portraits and landscapes. I am using NIKON D800 and couple of G series primes. I been advised that it's pointless having 36mp camera and degrade raws through processing them via film emulators. They seem to take a lot of details out but crispiness with its 36mp is what D800 stands for isn't it? It would be no problem sticking to capture one and going for this crispy looks but boy! Ivor these film look! I'm confused. Not sure what clients want. Don't want to switch styles either. I want to become recognised by photographer with his own style. What are your experiences in terms of using film emulators like VSCO? Do you prefer these or crispy digital look coming from e.g capture one pro which I find the best raw converter in game btw?

Anything I've seen that's supposed to look like film looks to me more like pictures that have been in a shoebox in somebody's basement for years. I still shoot film and my photos don't look like a lot of what's supposed to look like film. So I don't know what clients would expect, do they see examples from you so they'd know what look or style they'd be getting with their photos?

Too bad there isn't a decision emulator to help you make up your mind. Or, perhaps a talent emulator is needed -- I hear Adobe is working on that.

BTW, this is a film forum, not a film emulator forum. We don't pretend to shoot film. We shoot film.

Maybe you can emulate your way to the digital forums and ask them how to become known as having your own style. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice there.

Last edited:
I've consistently going back and forth from capture one pro to Lightroom and VSCO film emulators and haven't decided yet what style should I stick to.
Do you want to have a film look, shoot film and learn the chemistry mumbo jumbo for it. You will learn, that no any film simulator can keep up with the ways one can develop any film. Maybe this is a good word - "emulator". it means also "jealous rivalry". :lol:.

Brings to mind the old "Genuine Imitation Leather" labels. Emulators and various plug-ins are film approximations, some better than others, but still just best-guess algorithms. Ever test client reactions to a film portrait?

I've consistently going back and forth from capture one pro to Lightroom and VSCO film emulators and haven't decided yet what style should I stick to. I am new in the business mostly shooting wedding, portraits and landscapes. I am using NIKON D800 and couple of G series primes. I been advised that it's pointless having 36mp camera and degrade raws through processing them via film emulators. They seem to take a lot of details out but crispiness with its 36mp is what D800 stands for isn't it? It would be no problem sticking to capture one and going for this crispy looks but boy! Ivor these film look! I'm confused. Not sure what clients want. Don't want to switch styles either. I want to become recognised by photographer with his own style. What are your experiences in terms of using film emulators like VSCO? Do you prefer these or crispy digital look coming from e.g capture one pro which I find the best raw converter in game btw?

If you want to stand out with film look do it properly and shoot medium format and 35mm do a search for a new film called Cine Still and look at the wedding shots

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Nikon doesn't make a "G series" of lenses.
The G just means a lens has no aperture adjustment ring, and says nothing at all about the optical performance or quality of the lens.
Virtually all of Nikon's newer lenses, be they entry-level consumer grade, prosumer grade, or professional grade, are G lenses having no aperture adjustment ring.

Many photographers are returning to film, both for the look and for business reasons.
By shooting on film a retail photographer can separate themselves from the crowds of digital photographers.

Looks, like we spooked OP. But, after all, it is wrong forum for his question. I guess.

I still like my film cams, but all of my stuff is DUSTY

I should really dust these old film cams and my D800 too

SRW_2513.jpg

Yeah...dusty Retina will jam. Have that experience.

I hate "crispy" images. I also prefer Alien Skin Exposure to VSCO Here's an image that's been alien skinned (I think Fuji 400h setting, or might've been Portra 400vc) vs an actual Portra 400 scan.

Disney Duck by bhop, on Flickr

Another Film Shooter by bhop, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back