Film or digital - Which is best for a beginner?

I took some photography classes back in '92-'93. Obviously before digital existed. I learned the basics of using a camera, and learned darkroom skills. At the time, I had a severely limited budget, so shooting lots of rolls of film to learn was difficult for me.

In 2004, I bought a D70 and learned more about exposure and photography with that camera than I ever did with the film cameras because I could instantly see what I was doing wrong, how the meter was working, how different iso's and apertures affected photos, etc.

The catch for me is I prefer shooting with my film cameras. I just enjoy it more, maybe it's the feel of the cameras, or the bigger brighter viewfinder, but unlike my pre-d70 days, most of my film photos actually come out exposed properly now. I don't feel like i'm wasting money anymore. I believe it's partly because of the dslr.

I would also recommend, whichever type of camera you buy, to get some books on photography techniques and exposure, the basics, to help you understand how everything works. It'll make it easier.

I would recommend learning on digital then going to film if you wanted to. Cost is an issue for some people and wasting a whole roll of film on wrong exposure can get expensive especially if you don't remember the settings you use for that particular lighting condition. I think you can learn alot and alot faster with digital because you get instant results. One of the biggest advantages is being able to choose ISO from shot to shot rather than being limited to the type of shots you can take because you have a whole roll of ISO 100 in your camera

I started with film and was very hesitant about going to digital because I didn't think the quality would be the same. But after playing with digitals I've found that I've learned so much about exposure and post production, I'm getting much better results than I did with film. Not to mention no wasted money if a shot doesn't come out exactly how I wanted it. Simply delete or fix in post production

Film. Most times, when you nail it, you nail it.

Generally, it's intrinsically easier to get great results straight out of the camera. Post-processing is an integral part of shooting digital, and it carries its own learning curve. It's easy when learning two inextricably linked things at the same time, to have a difficult time figuring out where your shots are going wrong. In camera, or in computer? In digital you get instant feedback only in exposure (you should already know what the composition looks like). The rest is a matter of how you process the image.

Digital because of Exif data. When shooting film, unless you document each picture you take, you're not going to know what settings you used. With digital, you can see your exposure, ISO, shutter speed, etc. and figure out what settings you really liked, or what you could have changed to make a better shot.

I highly recommend starting with film

What I would suggest is going to the local community college take a couple of Black and White Film Photography classes then once you make it through those then go get a digital.

I do honestly believe you will have a better appreciation for photography if you do that.

No matter if you decide to go with Digital or stay with film

Like I said before in another thread.

This is the problem with learning on a dslr. When you look at the image on the back of the screen and see that the colors/exposure is off you just keep photographing switching the setting until it is right. The advantage with that is you are getting a good exposure. The problem with that is that you are not learning why you got the bad exposure in the first place. By not learning how to make a good exposure right off the bat you can not shoot on the fly, and trust yourself. You will always be looking at the back of your screen to make sure and possibly missing the great shots. And yes the digital camera does store the meta data but do people really take the time to look at that, be honest, or do they go to the good exposure and just use that. Where if you take the time to write it down with film you are more likely to go bad and look at your notes when you get a bad shot.

Finally, the whole cost thing. You can get a old manual camera w/ lens, a bunch of film, the chemicals to develop your film, and a scanner to turn your negs into digital file for cheaper than alot of digital SLRS!!! After you include the memory cards, lens, and every other accessory you need for your digital camera you are spending alot more on that then you are on film.

I am a beginner which is why I vote "Digital".

Digital is so so so forgiving especially when most of the time I'm experimenting with different features to get "the right picture".

Film is expensive, and you must wait for results. Digital, you just stick card into desktop/laptop and you are set.

Digital also allow you to correct/fix the photo.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I didn't expect to see so many!

I probably should have clarified that I did take a years worth of photography in high school, one semester of basic and one of advanced. I don't think I could remember how to actually develop the film to save my life though.

After reading your responses I think digital may be the way to go. I have a nice Pentax A3000 but no extra goodies (lenses, flash, etc) so I was thinking it would be cheaper to just get my accessories for that camera. It does seem like Digital is more cost effective though, no development and film costs. I have a basic P/S digital but I'd really like to advance to the DSLR's, can you guys recommend a good one for me start with? Cost really is a large factor for me, bills take precedence unfortunately lol. Also, what do these DSLR kits normally come with? Any zoom or telephoto lenses?

Thank you again everyone! I appreciate all of the responses!

On a budget?
Get a Nikon D40.

if you are in school or are interested in taking a photography class I highly recommend a 35mm photo 100 level course. Typically going to be B&W. I learned a lot from my prof, plus its always fun to develop your own stuff (learning exposures e/t/c)

Just to clear things up..

I shoot in both film and digital depending on the project. I am not an old school film only person, just strongly believe that learning on film makes you think about and understand light, composition, and how the camera actually works better.

I would also like to bring to peoples attention that film is not dead or dying. A great deal of pros still use film. Look at the big names in documentary, fashion, fine art, and architecture photography. If you do not believe me take a look at their websites, or email them and ask. You would be surprised as to who is still using film. I do agree that film has somewhat died in the amateur/hobbyist market but it is no were near dieing in the student and professional market.

Best buy lists that one for $650 with a zoom lens. Not half shabby.

Now, my Pentax has an automatic setting for when I'm feeling lazy and don't care to mess with the fstop and shutter speeds. Will that camera have a lazy setting too? LOL

OK forgive me if I speak out of ignorance, but the instant feedback of digital has been crucial to my skill development. I don't have to record my settings for each pic. I can compare different settings effect on the same shot by framing the shot. Also being on a tight budget, the digital allows me to process only the good ones.

I'm sorry... I love film but the days of fim area slowly coming to an end. Many manufacturers are cutting down stock, its harder to find a good developer and the prices of digital are constantly falling. Of course, who can argue with instant gratification?

Digital is the only way to go today... unless you are a purist and love the blast from the past... but no new user should start from film today... the advantages are just so blatant.

Most reactions

Back