Film or digital - Which is best for a beginner?

Thank you all for the quick responses. I didn't expect to see so many!

Thank you again everyone! I appreciate all of the responses!

Well....to put it bluntly....you posed the question that is literally asking what side of the war you should take in an unending dispute:D

People say digital is the future wile others say film is the only true tradition and this debate will continue untill one or the other is completely destroyed. Film is much farther from death than they'll let you believe.

Digital ... all/most of the arguments for film... take your time ... adjustments per the LCD ... et cetera, can be a consideration and utilized and/or taken into account with digital. It is all a matter of self discipline ... which ... is what learning is all about ... discipline.

The greatest learning tool for me was the opportunity/ability to shoot and shoot and shoot ... then shoot some more. (By purchasing film in bulk and loading my own cassettes I was able to shoot without a budget.)

Digital, although it carries a steep entry price ... in the ling run allows you to shoot and shoot and shoot some more for next to nothing. It allows you to shoot in color, B&W, low and high ISO without changing recording media for next to nothing. It allows nearly instantaneous review of your work.

The second thing one needs is a mentor or support group that offers constructive criticism and solid advice based upon experience and skill.

The third thing is to keep shooting in all situations ... just wake up and shoot ...

Gary

PS- I am a former news photographer. I worked news in the film-only days of photography ... when my daughters became interested in photography I got them digital cameras, dSLR's and made them shoot in manual.

G

Most reactions

Back