film processing at home

I develop between 60-80 rolls of BW film in my little apartment each month so just about anyone with a bit of study and practice can do film development at home.
As I always say go to a local thrift shop and get a few cheap darkroom books to learn the basics.

I would practice (WITH Film) several times so you understand how the reels function.
If you are buying used, the plastic reels can get tricky as they get older, especially with 36 frames (35mm). If your reels are new, you have no immediate worries.
Unless you load your camera in the dark and are shooting the leader, i see no need to start the reel in the dark. That (typically) is the hardest part. Just start it in room light.
Good Luck :)

instant coffee sounds like an interesting way.

It's called Caffenol, and whenever you are ready to try it, let me know and I'll tell you all about it :) It's the only developer I use for black and white, and even sometimes for color (it was expired and I was only doing a short roll to test if a camera worked - not worth sending out for to get the color images.)

I bought some film developing stuff in the summer of 2014, and developed all of my film in the kitchen, and dried the film in the bathroom hang it from the shower curtain rod,as was described above. My tanks were old Honeywell Nikoy tanks from the 1970's, and my film developer was an old formula called Kodak D – 76 . I had purchased a brand new dayligt changing bag, and I stored my developer stop bath and rinse water in 2 L soda bottles underneath the kitchen sink, where I figured the average temperature was 67°F. I did all of my developing with no thermometer, and it worked out fine. The last film I developed was in the mid-1980s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back