Film vs. Digital

frame vs frame I shoot a lot more digital than film but I spend a lot more time with my film gear. Id rather shoot film than digital but a lot of people just dont want to wait for the processing time.

Just an observation: the OP seems to have vanished after posting this, and a few other school- project type of threads here. ;) No biggie; the thread has stayed pleasant enough, but I am starting to doubt he will be back here to make any kind of tally of replies. If there was a poll, it's gone now!

We can keep the thread alive as a conversation piece as long as everyone plays nice. :) To that end, I will answer that I only own a P&S digital camera for quick snaps, which I only seem to have use for less than 10% of my time. For me it's more a question about playing between film formats - I've shot more 35mm lately, all B&W, than I have in years. I got so used to my manual Mamiya 645 1000S that picking up my (at the time) flagship Pentax MZ-S feels like cheating. :lol: Dang, that thing makes it easy! But those negatives look so tiny after working with 645 for so long.

In other words: total film geek here. And I wave that freak flag proudly! No professional use to ruin my enjoyment, thank god. No interest. :)

Anyone ever shoot with a film camera and find it completely uninspiring? I tried out a Minolta Hi-Matic G (not a rangefinder, but others in the line are) last week. Just didn't click with it.

Anyone ever shoot with a film camera and find it completely uninspiring? I tried out a Minolta Hi-Matic G (not a rangefinder, but others in the line are) last week. Just didn't click with it.

Thats the reason i bought my Leica's they are such a joy to use no other film camera compares

Thats the reason i bought my Leica's they are such a joy to use no other film camera compares

I feel that way about my Hasselblad and my Franka Rolfix. As for 35mm, I get that feeling a bit with my Nikon F, but I wanna get faster glass for it.

Frankly, the one Leica I spent some time with left me completely cold. Too much fiddling about and I disliked the film load process. I wish I could tell you what model it was (several years ago) but I don't recall. :)

Well...my most-recent film camera, the 1938 Miniature Speed Graphic, is kind of a disappointment when shooting 120 rollfilm with the old Graflex rollfilm back...

original.jpg

[ DSC_5005_CROP BW_LG.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com ]

I spent most ALL of this weekend scanning old film...1980's Tri-x 35mm, and some Yashica 635 120 square, and also a few rolls of both Ektar 100 color negative and Ektachrome Elite 100 VS (Very Saturated) that I shot with the Speed Graphic at the Oregon Coast on an absolutely GORGEOUS, wind-free, mist-free sunny afternoon on April 13...and the results out of the Speed Graphic are quite "mixed", to put it politely...the focal plane shutter seems to be VERY prone to vibration when the camera is shot hand-held...and the 1950's-era 101 Wollensak f/4.5 lens is...not all that sharp on 6x6, even with a tripod holding the camera steady and 1/700 second focal plane shutter speed in blinding light used...the focal plane shutter gojng off reminds me of a .22 pistol firing...it's a big "Whuuuuump!!!" sound each time that massive focal plane shutter exposes a frame.

Since all I have is the one, 101mm lens on 6x6, I have a very slight tele effect, but honestly, the LENS of my Yashica 635 twin lens reflex is better in resolving power, and the camera is smaller, lighter, and MUCH faster and easier to use, and the Yashica also spaces frames nicely, and perfectly, whereas the Graflex back on the Speed Graphic spaces frames poorly, or even laps them over maybe 1.4-2mm on occasion...still, if by God's grace, we get a sunny weekend this weekend, I am going to give the Graphic another chance, and see if using the FRONT shutter, the one in the lens, will help with the vibration issue which I think is hurting my sharpness. But in terms of a camera that's not really "helping me along", the Speed Graphic has got to be one of the worst camera systems I have tried for hand-held scenic work...the twin-lens reflexes of the late 1950's and early 1960's are simply MUCH faster and EASIER to work, in almost every single way.

However--the Graphic DID come with some 2.25 x 3.25 sheet film holders, and a groundglass back and pop-up finder hood, and it DOES have M-X-FP synch, so I am going to see how it shoots SHEET film, and I also bought a couple new 120 steel developing reels and steel developing tanks, and just mixed up a gallon of D-76 and a gallon of Kodak A-B fixer like 10 minutes ago in the kitchen!!! I also bought a brand new changing bag for loading said sheet film holders in daylight!

Last edited:
It does sound quite fussy, and you'd think the results would be worth it after all that trouble. But yes, maybe it's more suited to the sheet film. Looking forward to seeing what you get out of it!

:D No wonder. But has nothing to do with film (the "clicking"). This camera itself is not very much inspiring.

Frankly, the one Leica I spent some time with left me completely cold. Too much fiddling about and I disliked the film load process. I wish I could tell you what model it was (several years ago) but I don't recall. :)

Probably not an M

Well...my most-recent film camera, the 1938 Miniature Speed Graphic, is kind of a disappointment when shooting 120 rollfilm with the old Graflex rollfilm back...

original.jpg

I spent most ALL of this weekend scanning old film...1980's Tri-x 35mm, and some Yashica 635 120 square, and also a few rolls of both Ektar 100 color negative and Ektachrome Elite 100 VS (Very Saturated) that I shot with the Speed Graphic at the Oregon Coast on an absolutely GORGEOUS, wind-free, mist-free sunny afternoon on April 13...and the results out of the Speed Graphic are quite "mixed", to put it politely...the focal plane shutter seems to be VERY prone to vibration when the camera is shot hand-held...and the 1950's-era 101 Wollensak f/4.5 lens is...not all that sharp on 6x6, even with a tripod holding the camera steady and 1/700 second focal plane shutter speed in blinding light used...the focal plane shutter gojng off reminds me of a .22 pistol firing...it's a big "Whuuuuump!!!" sound each time that massive focal plane shutter exposes a frame.

Since all I have is the one, 101mm lens on 6x6, I have a very slight tele effect, but honestly, the LENS of my Yashica 635 twin lens reflex is better in resolving power, and the camera is smaller, lighter, and MUCH faster and easier to use, and the Yashica also spaces frames nicely, and perfectly, whereas the Graflex back on the Speed Graphic spaces frames poorly, or even laps them over maybe 1.4-2mm on occasion...still, if by God's grace, we get a sunny weekend this weekend, I am going to give the Graphic another chance, and see if using the FRONT shutter, the one in the lens, will help with the vibration issue which I think is hurting my sharpness. But in terms of a camera that's not really "helping me along", the Speed Graphic has got to be one of the worst camera systems I have tried for hand-held scenic work...the twin-lens reflexes of the late 1950's and early 1960's are simply MUCH faster and EASIER to work, in almost every single way.

However--the Graphic DID come with some 2.25 x 3.25 sheet film holders, and a groundglass back and pop-up finder hood, and it DOES have M-X-FP synch, so I am going to see how it shoots SHEET film, and I also bought a couple new 120 steel developing reels and steel developing tanks, and just mixed up a gallon of D-76 and a gallon of Kodak A-B fixer like 10 minutes ago in the kitchen!!! I also bought a brand new changing bag for loading said sheet film holders in daylight!

If you LIKE the idea of that, but would rather use something that only has a leaf shutter, try a Busch Pressman. I THINK a Graflex rollfilm adapter will bolt up, but I'm not 100% there. They're the same size (2x3 and in overall dimensions-roughly), but the Pressman is so much easier to use. No big focal plane shutter on top of the leaf shutter in the lens to screw around with. Just putting that out there.

Timor, that's what I mean. Sure there's uninspiring films (120 Lomo 100), but there's a ton of uninspiring cameras. I just played with a Minolta X-570. Felt nothing. Bored, even. No soul, just overly electronic for my taste. I'll have to play with the Nikon or Hassy tomorrow to cleanse the palate. :lol:

The focal plane shutter "thump" doesn't cause camera vibration because the "thump" happens after the exposure.

Most reactions

Back