What's new

Filter Help

slapshot36227

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon Rebel t2i and recently purchased some cheap, $15 circular polarization filters at Best Buy. When I use them, the images are significantly darker (same goes with every brand...) but they also have a yellowish tint to them that doesn't look very good at all.

What suggestions do you have for a nice, affordable brand to use? I've heard of other brands such as Hoya. I'd be willing to spend anything under $100, but I was just wondering what the most common choice is.

Thanks,

Zach
 
Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, yes...all polarizing filters will block some light, thus making it darker when you look through the lens. This also means that it will affect your exposure, likely causing you to need a longer shutter speed. For this reason, it's advisable to only use them when needed (usually outdoors in sunny conditions).

And for $15, I'm not surprised that they wouldn't be totally color neutral. They likely don't have high quality coatings to reduce flare, like higher quality filters will have.

Like most things, different brands will have a range of quality in their product line. So while Hoya does have some good quality filters, they also sell some cheaper (junky) ones as well.
Other good brands could be Sing-Ray, B&W, etc. As a loose guide, you can usually get an idea of the quality by the price. A $100 filter is likely a lot better than a $15 filter.

Lastly, you shouldn't really have to buy more than one polarizing filter. Just get one to fit the biggest lens you own (or that you plan to buy). Then you can buy 'step up rings', which will allow you to mount the larger filter onto smaller lenses. Much cheaper than buying multiple filters.
 
Deppending on what size you need you should be able to get a very good multi-coated C-POL filter from Hoya or B+W. I have filters from both along with a couple no-name filters bought at small camera shops when the need came up. Their is a quality difference between the cheaper ones, and the good multi-coated ones. The quality difference is not just in build but also in the affect they have.

Like Mike says you can buy a filter that fits your largest filter ring size, or even for a lens you know you may buy in the near future. You can then buy step up rings for your smaller lenses to match up to the larger filter. The step-up rings are $10-15. This way you can buy 1 very good filter and use on all your lenses. I started out this way. I bought a very good MC B+W C-POl in 77mm (my largest lens at the time). I then bought a 52 to 77, and 62 to 77 step up rings. In the years since I have purchased more filters. But in the beginning this allowed me to spend less money but allowed me to use a very good filter.

As for your current filter. One way to test if the filter is actually inducing a color cast is to make sure your white balance is set to a specific setting (not on auto). Take a picture without the filter. Then take a picture with the C-POL at its minimum effect. And with it at its fullest effect (same scene). Compare the 3 pictures. If it does induce a color cast I would take it back. You may find the auto white balance is actually changing when using the filter though. Many people shoot raw for this and other reasons.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom