What's new

Filter Question

Skinnifatkid

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 22, 2011
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Location
Edmonton Alberta
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a local camera store yesterday looking for a filter for my camera. I was reading a simple magazine rack...publication and in the "In The Bag" section of what should be in a bag, they mentioned ND Filters as being practical depending on the application of course. When I inquired about the filter, the guy behind the counter grabs a ND filter that was variable and darkened when he turned the rings. Now, here is my question, he claimed that I would be able to set up in the downtown core of the city during the day and snap or compose a picture that had no traffic or people in it due to the movement.

Is this possible and would the $150 be worth it? I'd really like to see a before and after image if it is. My wife was asking if something like that would be a good Christmas present! Isn't she great!
 
Honestly, I know nothing about filters but....I'm pretty sure with a really slow shutter speed (in the seconds) that you can capture an image without the people walking by registering. Sometimes the feet will be showing or there will be ghosting. <----my photography teacher told me this

"The Ultimate Easy Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

The above article ^^^ says it is possible
 
+1 Yup ghosting, and expect if someone or a car at a red light is still they may be all or partially in your image.
 
WOW!!! Yes to my wife for buying me this...if she remembers what it is we saw! lol

Honestly, I see me doing a trip back to Hwy 93 in Alberta to capture the many waterfalls along the route! WOW.

Here's a link to the area; highway 93 alberta - Google Maps I rode through there on a solo trip and tried to get the effect without the filter with my old camera!

But the price....:(


Thanks MTVision
 
+1 Yup ghosting, and expect if someone or a car at a red light is still they may be all or partially in your image.

So it really works, wow. I totally get the waterfalls and river stuff. Are there any pictures available of a cityscape. I'm really curious about that. Is the filter worth buying...I mean, can it be used for more than just landscape and pics of the like?
 
But you can do the slow shutter speed (and not have the people showing or just have ghosting) without the filter as well!
 
But you can do the slow shutter speed (and not have the people showing or just have ghosting) without the filter as well!
...In full daylight though? That's what struck me as being...cool about this filter. I'll have to read up on with/without filters about ghosting.
 
I think to get ghosting like that in full daylight, you will get some heavily over-exposed pictures without a ND. There are different grades of ND filters. The darkest ones are really dark, and if buying only one, you have to think about how dark you need your filter to be. But yes... when used correctly, NDs are just awesome. Rivers and waterfalls in daylight they can do miracles for your pictures!
 
I think my NDs pay for them self as they add a whole dimension to taking pictures. You can get those right exposures even during the brightest days. And again something mentioned earlier, that you do not have to wait until nighttime to use longer exposures. There have never been any doubt in my mind if they was worth the money!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom