Filter Size?

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a ND filter, but I don't know what size to get. I read somewhere that this one person suggests getting a 77mm one so it will fit all of your lenses. That makes sense, but if I'm taking a 30sec. exposure, I don't want to hold the filter up against the lens for that long. I'd be afraid of blur.

So, my question: for those of you with lenses of different sizes, how do you decide what size filter size to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You generally don't need to hold the filter up to the lens. Circular ones are threaded, and will screw right onto the front of 99.9% of lenses. Square ones have holders that screw onto the lens first, then hold the square filters.

A 3-stop is a good starting point. 77mm is the largest size filter many people will ever use. You can get reducing rings to get a 77mm filter to fit any lens that take smaller filters.

Well, you would not hold the filter. If you buy a 77mm filter for a smaller lens, you would add a step up ring so you screw it in.

Step-Up Rings | B&H Photo Video

Note there are step up and step down rings. To use a 77mm filter on a smaller lens needs a step up ring.

This probably interferes with your lens cap and lens hood until removed.

Last edited:
Wayne - That's exactly what I was wondering! I have a 72mm lens and a 58mm(?), and I want to be able to use the filter for both of them!

I have lenses with 77, 62 and 58mm filter sizes. They are mostly covered by UV filters and I only buy one 77mm filter of any kind. I have found they do not interfere with the lens cap or the lens hoods. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy a step up than a new, duplicate filter.

How so you affix your 77mm filter to your 58mm lens? Do you use the step-up rings?

Yes. You have to purchase the correct size of step-up ring, which will specify the two thread sizes you need. If you have another lens that you want to mount the filter on, and it happens to be a different thread size, then you have to purchase another step-up ring of THAT size. So for instance: if it is 65mm, or whatever, then the step-up will have to be sized for 65mm to 77mm.

So whoever told you to get a big filter was trying to save you from needing to purchase multiple filters in the various sized that you might need. Of course, now you have to purchase step-up rings, but you only had to buy one filter.

Your opinion of that idea is up to you.

I went ahead and ordered the Hoya ND-400 and a step-up ring to fit my second lens! Thanks everyone for your input; I can't wait to try them out! They should be here on Friday!

You can get a whole series of step up rings like a continuous set of 12, for maybe $5. I ordered 2 or 3 of them a long time ago, and whenever I go out shooting intending to use filters, I just put on the appropriate number of step ups to each of my lenses in the bag and leave them there. Filter goes directly from one to the next, doesn't matter what size threads they have.

Also, I find a 10-11 stop ND filter to be much more useful than a 3 stop. 90% of the time when I'm using an ND it is to take long daytime exposures, and 10-11 stops isn't even ENOUGH for what I want to do. I sometimes stack a CPL or whatever I have on top for 13 ish stops. A 3 stop is okay if you just want to shoot fast glass wide open, though. Depends what you're using it for.

Also, fun fact: even with 13 stops of blackness on my lens (the light gathering equivalent of something like F/250), my live view shows a perfectly interpretable image and even autofocuses just fine. Despite being inky black to my eye through the viewfinder. Both in my 6D and in my old T2i.

Live view is magical sometimes.

You can get a whole series of step up rings like a continuous set of 12, for maybe $5. I ordered 2 or 3 of them a long time ago, and whenever I go out shooting intending to use filters, I just put on the appropriate number of step ups to each of my lenses in the bag and leave them there. Filter goes directly from one to the next, doesn't matter what size threads they have.
I wasn't really sure how the sets worked, and going from 58 to 72mm seemed obnoxious.

Also, I find a 10-11 stop ND filter to be much more useful than a 3 stop. 90% of the time when I'm using an ND it is to take long daytime exposures, and 10-11 stops isn't even ENOUGH for what I want to do. I sometimes stack a CPL or whatever I have on top for 13 ish stops. A 3 stop is okay if you just want to shoot fast glass wide open, though. Depends what you're using it for.

I really didn't see the point of the 3-stop, but I suppose it makes sense if all you want to do is shoot at wider apertures. I'm glad I went with the 9-stop though!

Another option is to buy lenses that all use the same filter size.

I feel like is rather limit my filters, or use step-up rings, than limit my lens variety.

Is there any quality loss with the step-up rings? I'm just wondering. It seems like the filter should be right up against the lens, but I honestly don't know.

I feel like is rather limit my filters, or use step-up rings, than limit my lens variety.

Is there any quality loss with the step-up rings? I'm just wondering. It seems like the filter should be right up against the lens, but I honestly don't know.

Filter step rings are hollow, they contain no glass. They're strictly mechanical, a ring with two sizes of threads on it, and the only effect they may have on imaging is if you put a small filter on a lens that has large threads (i.e., 58mm filter on a lens meant for 77mm). In that case, some vignetting issues may occur. Otherwise, the only IQ issues will be those inherent to the filter itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back