Filter suggestions?

bethgor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mother was a photographer, and she has given me 25+ filters (55mm). I have a Nikon D90, which uses a 67mm filter on the lens. I know it sounds dumb, but is there a way for me to mount the 55mm filters on the lens, and sacrifice some of the image size to cropping? There is a lot of money in the filters, and most of them are Hoya filters, and I don't want to waste them....

Any suggestions that don't involve buying a new lens or new filters?

You might consider selling the filters and then you could use the funds to buy filters that would fit your lenses.

I was afraid that was my only option. haha

Other than trick filters like magnification, cross-star, soft focus, etc., for color photography, the filters you will normally use most often are CPL and the ND filter set. I also keep a couple of FL-D filters, but those are not totally necessary.

Most other filters will be better used in b/w but you can simulate most of them in software.

If you have a Craigslist near you, or even a local used camera shop, maybe someone might want to trade with you.

frankly one doesn't need a lot of filters with digital as one did with film. except for a polarizer and ND filters everything else can be done with post processing.

there are some people who favor using a UV filter, but other than that you might be better off selling them, as to use a step up ring will probably create lots of other issues.

thanks! I think i might keep them for who knows why and just buy a few 67mm filters. You never know when you might need the old filters!

Don't mean to take over your post here, but one simple question... What exactly does the polarized filter do? I have 3 filters, one polarized, and I've yet to use them.. Heard negatives more frequently than positives on them!

Oh and on your filters.. I would just weigh things out ... Do they have a sentimental value to you? If not, sell them or get yourself a lens that will take them so you can use them .. :thumbup:

if anything, i would only buy 77mm filters. most pro-level lenses have a 77mm filter size. buy the big filters, then buy an adaptor ring to make the 77mm filters fit ur 67mm lens. this is about thinking ahead for when u get a bigger lens. this way u dont have to buy all new filters.

...I have a Nikon D90, which uses a 67mm filter on the lens. ...

That should read "on my current lens".

Vignetting will be too severe to make it practical to adapt 55mm filters to a lens requiring 67mm filters.

If some of the filters are ones that are practical to use with digital (Neutral Density, Graduated Netral Density, Circular Polarizers, and non-filter attachments like closeup lenses, soft focus attachments, ...) you might want to keep them filed away in case you acquire a lens that uses a smaller filter size (e.g 50mm f/1.8 that uses 52mm, ...) where adapting them it practical.

Depends, will your mother be upset if you sell them? If you are just asking how to make them fit, step down rings you can buy at any online camera store.

My circular polarizer is my favorite filter. It blocks "scattered" light making colors deeper and richer. It's also great for cutting down glare on flat shiny surfaces.

http://www.gorrellphotography.com

Most reactions

Back