Filter types

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning on getting filters for my Nikon D5100 but I see there are different types such as screw in types or square types that slide into a square frame on the front of the camera. Does it mater what type you get and is there any advantages over one or the other.

First, let's identify what you want these filters to actually DO for you........

Just some thoughts:

Graduated filters are better in the square/rectangle variety because that allows you to adjust where the graduation happens, instead of forcing it in the middle of the composition.

All others are generally better as screw on filters because there's less chance of light leaks around the sides that can cause reflections, flaring, etc. You can also usually use your normal lens hood with them, unless they're over-sized and stepped up with adapter rings.

However, I say generally because depending on the lens and filter and focal length, screw on filters can sometimes cause vignetting, especially if you start stacking them, whereas larger-than-the-lens square and rectangle filters almost never do, unless the ring/adapter causes it. There's also that lens hood issue, but that's always true for the square filters which prevent you from using your normal hoods, though those manufacturers make solutions, or you can DIY something up fairly easily.

I have both, and use one system or the other depending on the circumstances.

What type of filters are you tlaking about? polarizer? uv? neutral density? gradual neutral density?

Wanting to buy some ND filters so going by what Buckster said it seems the screw in type that will be better suited.

Wanting to buy some ND filters so going by what Buckster said it seems the screw in type that will be better suited.

Just ordinary ND's, yes... go with the screw-in. If you want to get into GNDs, then get the square/rectangular ones.

I was thinking about the variable ones which go from 1 stop to 10 stop. Not sure how good they are though, they do vary in price from £10 to £60.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back