Filters (Answer My Questions Please!)

Fire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! Lets have a talk about filters! You know that thing that goes on the, lens hood that comes with lens. First of all, what is it? What are its benefits? Do you use one? Why? Anything else I should know? Tell me!

Last edited:
What thing that goes on the hood? Never seen anything that 'goes on the hood that comes with the lens".

I use a UV mostly to protect my precious glass. Would also like to hear what others have to say.

First, there's a lot of different types of filter. Second, I don't know of any that mount to a lens hood, just to the lens itself via the threads on the end. Third, there's various benefits, depending on the type of filter. Finally, I use a circular polarizer for a couple reasons. It helps me control the reflections on the products I photograph, and it helps add some contrast in the sky when I take daytime landscape shots.

First off it doesn't go on the lens hood. There are ones that thread onto the end of a lens (put the lens hood on after attaching) and there are others that mount to the lens with a frame so you can adjust the filter up and down.

There are many types of filter, they alter the light entering the camera.

Ok, that's the basics.... Next person take over since this could get long, or just do a Google search.

What lenses come with filters?
CalvinHuh.gif
Unless it's a 'kit' from a retailer.

What thing that goes on the hood? Never seen anything that 'goes on the hood that comes with the lens".

CalvinHuh.gif

That was my fault, Bad phrasing. I don't really know much about it but I meant to say 'the filter that goes on the lens hood (the hood comes with the lens) I never meant to say that a filter comes with the hood as well, my fault.

Also, Does anyone who use filters often have a favorite?

I have three in my arsenal: A Singh-Ray VND, a B+W 10-stop ND, and a B+W CPL. I do have a couple of UVs if I'm going to be shooting in a lens-hazardous environment, but mostly I shoot with naked glass.

The VND allows me 2-8 stops of neutral density, the 10-stop gives me just a bit more (I've calculated it's more like 10-1/3), and the two can be stacked for half-hour exposures in broad daylight.

Without a doubt, the most useful filter you can get is a CPL (circular polarizer). It not only cuts reflections on shiny surfaces, but can enhance and intensify colors.

Without a doubt, the most useful filter you can get is a CPL (circular polarizer). It not only cuts reflections on shiny surfaces, but can enhance and intensify colors.

Sounds cool, do you think you'll be getting one? Also do you have any photos you can post using those filters you mentioned?

PB031512 by longm1985, on Flickr

IMG_4314 by longm1985, on Flickr

Both shot with a circular polarizer on. The first one: Olympus EVOLT E-450, 14-42 f3.5-5.6, Agfa polarizer. The second: Canon 7D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Agfa polarizer. They have a variety of uses.

Sounds cool, do you think you'll be getting one? Also do you have any photos you can post using those filters you mentioned?

Get one? I was using polarizers long before they became circular! Back in the 70s and 80, they were all just plain polarizers. Circular polarizers weren't around until digital came along.

Use to enhance the blue sky:

Arch_Post.jpg~original

As for reflections, it's hard for me to show you what it can do because anything I show would require an image taken without it, and I don't have any sets like that.

Thank you very much for this! Will read!

Get one? I was using polarizers long before they became circular! Back in the 70s and 80, they were all just plain polarizers. Circular polarizers weren't around until digital came along.

Use to enhance the blue sky:

Arch_Post.jpg~original

As for reflections, it's hard for me to show you what it can do because anything I show would require an image taken without it, and I don't have any sets like that.

Darn, no sets like that? Oh well! That's a nice picture with the blue sky! Is it computer enhanced at all or just a untouched one?

PB031512 by longm1985, on Flickr

IMG_4314 by longm1985, on Flickr

Both shot with a circular polarizer on. The first one: Olympus EVOLT E-450, 14-42 f3.5-5.6, Agfa polarizer. The second: Canon 7D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Agfa polarizer. They have a variety of uses.

Very nice photos! I think the sky is the best part in the first picture (I can assume that it was because of the filter, because of what sparky said) and also the second one appeals to me as well because of that 'old' look and feel to it. Thank you for the examples!

CalvinHuh.gif

Some older or larger lenses come with filters and were designed for use of filters. Look for filter trays or filters that screw into the camera end (like my 500 nikon reflex).

The quality of the filter has alot to do with overall quakity.
i use B+W and nikons but there are many types of various prices from a few bucks to hundreds of dollars for each.

Darn, no sets like that? Oh well! That's a nice picture with the blue sky! Is it computer enhanced at all or just a untouched one?

The top blue is SOOC. In the lower portion of the image the blue was much lighter, so I edited to more match the dark blue of the top.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back