Filters? Brand matters?

DbyH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm newer to my DSLR, but very passionate about design and photography and am excited about my potential. I'm really having a hard time with filters right now. Do you use a UV filter to protect your lens? I've heard both sides of the story, but I'm still stranded in the middle. And, if I do choose to use a UV filter, which brand should I get? I was on a website last night and was so overwhelmed with the choices and all the reviews and it led me no where. Coated? Multi-coated? Brand? I saw some as cheap as a few dollars and pricier ones in the $50s.

I'm also looking for a circular polarizer and have the same questions regarding brand/price, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Having a UV in front of the lens there is 2 schools on the thought. 1 is to have it for protection. The filter gets damages and not the front element. The 2nd is to not have a filter there as adding anything to the front of the lens will degrade the image even if its just a little bit. I am in the 2nd school of thought. For protection I use a lens hood. Should have a hood on anyway to keep stray light out. Now I do use filters. But I do not use UV or clear filters.

As for which type to get. Always go for multicoated filters. The coating process helps prevent light reflections between glass. As for which brands that is up to you. As there are several like Hoya, B+W, Cokin (square style), Heliopan, Nikon / Canon (not as widly known). Of course there are more brands but they are considered "cheaper" filters. The thing to look for is Glass, metal rings (not plastic), and multi-coating. Each of the manufacturers I mentioned useually have a couple lines of filters. Each step up is a better design and of course higher price.

The best way to think of using filters is you paid good money to buy good or even the best lens. Why would you put a cheap filter where its performance will be less than your lens. Buy putting a cheap filter in front, your wasting the money you spent on the lens. As the filter itself will degrade the shot.

The best thing to do it buy a very good filter that fits your biggest fliter ring size. Or even a lens you plan on buying in the near future. To use it on your smaller lenses you can buy an inexpensive step up ring for $10 to $15. That way your very good filter fits all your lenses. That way you can afford to buy a very good one versus buying several mid or cheap ones. You have the quality and usefullness of a very good filter.

I started off with B+W filters. And like I suggested, my first was 77mm (largest lens at the time). And I bought some step up rings (52mm and 62mm). That way I could use it on the 3 lenses I had. I have since picked up some Hoya Pro 1 Digitals, and even a Heliopan. And no longer need the step up rings. But when first starting out, unless your loaded, you have to make choices in what your buying. A good Circular Polarizer is a good start. And you may find a neutral density filter may be usefull as well. A UV and Clear filter would be way down on my gotta have list.

In a pinch I have purchased cheaper / no-name filters. Their lower quality shows vs. the better filters. But sometimes, like in my case where I dropped one. It is better to have one than not. In this case I was on a long trip and had to have a Circular Polarizer. The only thing available was a store branded filter that was multicoated, but still not the best quality. You can tell the difference!

Supposedly, Canon L lenses are not completely weather sealed without a filter on front. I also see it as protection against fingerprints (oils can degrade the coatings), water spots and anything else that has to be wiped off that will get on your lens even with a hood. The hood is reversed on my longer lenses when in the bag and I sometimes end up smearing a thumbprint across the front of the filter if I'm in a hurry. I use B +W and Hoya Pro multicoated UV and Haze filters.

To summaries the above, brand doesn't necessarily correlate with quality. Hoya make cheap and nasty, and expensive and good filters. B+W make medium priced and medium quality, and "wow **** you paid that!" and damn bloody good filters.

I use top of the line Hoya filters (Pro1), and medium range B+Ws (MRC) filters for protection, effects, IR, and Polarising.

unless you're a professional photographer intending to sell poster sized prints, always use protection ;). hoya makes UV good filters that are not outrageously expensive. I use nikon polarizers for landscape photography. these are more expensive but i prefer a better construction for a slim, circular polarizer.

i found step ups to be a pain. they make using a lens hood difficult. also, a quick change of lenses and swap of filters is near impossible, also especially tedious when undesirable conditions.

Last edited:
I have UV's on all my lenses during storage and when not in use. take just a min to remove them when I change lenses. I have also shot with them on during very dusty or wet uses. saves from cleaning the lens glass as often and then a quick shot from a bulb blow and the dust is gone.

I have UV's on all my lenses during storage and when not in use. take just a min to remove them when I change lenses.

Why have a UV filter for storage and when not using the lens? What's wrong with the lens cap in these situations?

Why have a UV filter for storage and when not using the lens? What's wrong with the lens cap in these situations?

it just what I do. got in the habit and well thats it.

From my experience there is a HUGE difference between the cheapo no-name filters and the mid grade (tiffen, hoya) multi-coated filters.

Anybody with a shop in China can produce a bunch of filters and throw them on ebay for $10 a piece. Avoid at all costs!

But I can't really tell any difference between mid-grade and high-end (B+W Heliopan).

From my experience there is a HUGE difference between the cheapo no-name filters and the mid grade (tiffen, hoya) multi-coated filters.

Anybody with a shop in China can produce a bunch of filters and throw them on ebay for $10 a piece. Avoid at all costs!

But I can't really tell any difference between mid-grade and high-end (B+W Heliopan).

oops! i just picked one up on ebay that was coming with a hood and a UV filter for just under 10 bucks...
oh well, at least i'll have a hood

I own and tested both the inexpensive and the most expensive Marumi UV on my zoom, the cheap was a waist of money when put in front of my D90.

On the other hand, I do not use any filter in front of my 50mm (interior use mainly).

I also tried cheap polarized, another waist of money, they turn green the photos.

So in this digital era, for me the UV is either the best multi coated or nothing.

The differences can be seen even by an amateur like me.

Last edited:

Because you need to take the lens cap off to use the lens, don't you? Why take the time to remove the filter, install the lens cap, only to reverse the entire operation to reinstall the filter for protection? Leave it on so you don't have to take it off & then put it back just to use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back