Filters...brands?

OP
T

The_Duke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks. I think I will get the Hoya cpl 52 & 67mm sizes for my lenses and just get a step up ring and hoya uv for my sigma so I don't have to get a third size cpl. I already have one Hoya uv filter for my 70-300 and I will just keep the two promaster ones that national camera threw in for free on my 35 and 18-55.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
You might want to try a few shots without them. Free filters probably aren't worth what you paid for them and may be doing more harm than good.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Best brands: Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W and Heliopan.

Good brands: Tiffen and Hoya

Don't bother: Pretty much everything else.

Yeah, pretty good generalizations there.

"Promaster" filters are low-quality, high-markup PROFIT-MAKERS for the dealers that sell them. I used to work for a camera store chain; filters are one of the absolutely MOST-marked-up items in the entire photographic world!!!

A $30 Promaster probably sets the dealer back $4.99 in lots of 10 filters, and $3.99 in lots of 25, and $3.09 in lots of 100. I'm not kidding!!! FIlters are an item where the salesman can sell them for $30; the store makes a $27 margin, and out of that can afford to pay the salesman as much as $8 for a "spiff". So, the store's ownership makes $18 pure profit, the salesman earns $8 for the filter sale, and then you the customer get, well...you...get....screwed!!!

THAT is how retail photo equipment sales work in many,many stores. Cheap filters are marked up with un-holy markups from wholesale to retail!!!!!

RichardsTPF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Currently, both B&H and Adorama give free filters ($60 value) with purchase of 24-70mm glasses. Do you want to put those cheap filters on a $1800 glasses?
I won't.

Most reactions