Filters for lenses. Which ones do you prefer?

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Today Im ordering 4 lenses and a Canon 60D

All Sigma lenses. At B & H they always end up convincing me to buy some sort of filter to protect the actual lens from being scratched. I guess it makes sense Id rather scratch a $20.00 filter then a $900.00 lens. Do you guys have any suggestions on this theory or which filters make the most sense. Ill be shooting 80% weddings and high school seniors and for fun outside of work Ill be shooting lots of boating images.

Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital SLR ...

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens for Canon EOS

acessloader.gif

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

Lenses are actually really hard to scratch, but filters (especially cheap ones) can hurt your image quality and give you a lot more lens flare.

I don't use 'protection' filters...unless I'm shooting in an environment where I might expect something to come flying at me.

Probably. Well, sure...there is some protection when you put a filter in front of a lens...but in that case, why don't they try to sell you 'clear' filters? Just about all digital cameras have built-in UV filters, so they don't really need another UV filter.

Also...
Id rather scratch a $20.00 filter then a $900.00 lens
Why would you put a $20 filter in front of a $900 lens....as you might end up with $20 image quality.

I'd suggest searching around these forums about whether or not to filter. It's almost as good as the canon vs. nikon debate :lol: But really, there are good reasons from both sides... but no one thinks a $20 filter does you any good. If you don't think you need them, great! If you do think you need them, get only multicoated and only respected brands like b+w, heliopan, etc...

dont get a $20 filter, might as well buy a cheap lens then.
I use filters because I shoot outside a lot and sand, rocks, water, anything else that blows around gets onto my lens. If I dont have a microfiber cloth handy I just use my shirt to clean it and I like knowing I'm not messing with the glass of my lens. Also if catch a wave I know I can just screw the filter off and keep on shooting. I should take them off when I shoot indoors, but I'm lazy.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back