Final Showing Set?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I'm behind the 8ball here, my showing is coming up REALLY fast (Sept 1st!!) I've struggled for a long time to pick the pieces I want to use, this set has changed soooo many times. I THINK I finally have it narrowed down to these 8. Would love to hear your thoughts on the set, is there anything that sticks out as out of place? Is it coherent? etc...

REALLY looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

You can see the whole set together here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/judi_smelko/sets/72157644050870383/

Autumn will be shown alone at the entrance, it is 30in on the long side, will be matted and framed in white.

Autumn by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

The rest are in order of how they will hang Poplars being the center image.

12x12 Canvas (or metal)
Purple Chaos. by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

11x14 Canvas

Weeping Willow by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

16x20 Canvas

Little Green by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

30X24(ish) Print framed and matted in white.

Poplars by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

11x14 Canvas

Autumn Fire by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

11x14 Canvas

Blue Hour by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

12x12 Canvas (or metal)

Picnic Spot by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Very nice selection Judi - have you considered doing any of these as acrylic float wraps? It's a little more expensive, but it looks fantastic.

Good choices, little bunny. The acrylic prints do look good, and I used them before metal came around. Acrylic scratches much easier, not something you want if you transport your prints back and forth to shows. Staying with your ICM theme is smart.

While I like Purple Chaos by itself, to me, it seems out of place in the set. Compared to the rest, it's very bright and hard to tell the subject matter.

Thank you John, Eddie, and Wade!

John, I have considered acrylic prints but the cost of getting all of this done already has me hyperventilating and I'm trying to show the work the best without the prices going through the roof. **breathing deep**

Eddie, thank you for your thoughts! I tried really really hard to get some of my other work into it, I so desperately wanted to get this one in but alas I just simply couldn't make it work.
IMG_5011bw-4 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Wade, you picked the one I was up in the air about, I was hoping Blue Hour on the other end would balance it out but I was on the fence. This is the other option for that position....

IMG_1811bw-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

I see what you're saying about Blue Hour balancing it out.. It probably could. Purple Chaos just seemed a bit bright for a balance. (I'm on my work computer, so the colors aren't true to the photograph.)

Of the previous two, I LOVE the first (the lines, the farm, the mist, everything), but you're right, it doesn't seem to fit in the set. The other option with the people would work, but it might change it from a 'nature' theme to more of a 'farm/rural' theme. If that's ok, I think I like that better. It seems like a good pairing would either be the Weeping Willow or the Picnic Spot.

Don't worry about the purple one, it's within the ICM theme. So is the one with the two Amish? peeps above. Hide that b&w in a drawer for the show.

I see what you're saying about Blue Hour balancing it out.. It probably could. Purple Chaos just seemed a bit bright for a balance. (I'm on my work computer, so the colors aren't true to the photograph.)

Of the previous two, I LOVE the first (the lines, the farm, the mist, everything), but you're right, it doesn't seem to fit in the set. The other option with the people would work, but it might change it from a 'nature' theme to more of a 'farm/rural' theme. If that's ok, I think I like that better. It seems like a good pairing would either be the Weeping Willow or the Picnic Spot.
Thanks Wade, it certainly is vibrant in a different way than the rest, I think it will be a last minute decision and I may get both printed just in case. I love Waiting also, it was taken from a moving vehicle just like the rest but obviously with significantly different settings as the rest to capture it the way it needed to be captured. Unfortunately without adding in more images of the same style it just won't fit. Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Don't worry about the purple one, it's within the ICM theme. So is the one with the two Amish? peeps above. Hide that b&w in a drawer for the show.
Thanks Eddie. In the drawer?....
I love all of these! Awesome work. THe purple one is one of my favorites!

Very Nice PR. Looks like a very good set and should be a hit.

Thanks Paige and Ron :)

Top of the fridge would be ok also. You have a group of images unlike any other photographer in your show, I would hazard a guess. My guess would also be that you would wish to be "known" as the person who produced this art from photographs. This next part isn't a guess. It's good to be "known".

I REALLY like all of these! I think you will do very well.

If anything...

Maybe the brightness on my monitor is too high or something, but Weeping Willow seems pretty BRIGHT YELLOW in your face.

I know you have a vision for this one, but have you tried to dial it back some to see if you like it just as much or better? Just a thought.

$8990346255_357a2dd64e_b.jpg$Tree.jpg

Top of the fridge would be ok also. You have a group of images unlike any other photographer in your show, I would hazard a guess. My guess would also be that you would wish to be "known" as the person who produced this art from photographs. This next part isn't a guess. It's good to be "known".
Ah gotcha ;)
I REALLY like all of these! I think you will do very well.

If anything...

Maybe the brightness on my monitor is too high or something, but Weeping Willow seems pretty BRIGHT YELLOW in your face.

I know you have a vision for this one, but have you tried to dial it back some to see if you like it just as much or better? Just a thought.

View attachment 82130View attachment 82131

OMG Parker, THANK YOU!!! I actually had the wrong version there, it was a failed re-edit, this is the one that will be used, you saved me a LOT of grief!! thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

This is the good version minus a bit of sharpening that is in the final version (over my bandwidth for the month so not going to reupload again)....

Weeping Willow by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Ahhhh, a thousand times better.

No problem, glad I could help.

Let us know how it goes.

That weeping willow photo has always been just about my favorite of yours, Judi.

I like the set as a whole, but I have to agree with the minority opinion that somehow Purple Chaos seems really out of place to me in this grouping. I *love* that image--you know I love me some abstract!!--but FOR ME, it doesn't work that well with the others, more because of the really bright colors than the subject. Again, IMO, Blue Hour doesn't effectively balance it because Blue Hour still has the very muted sort of tones present in the other works. In fact, Blue Hour and Poplar have a very similar "feel" to them, whereas Purple Chaos is just so BOLD and rich-toned…I dunno, if it was me, I wouldn't include it in with this particular set.
But my opinion is worth very NEARLY what you paid for it. ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back