Finally being brave, a couple for C&C

Kazzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I havent posted any photos like this before for C&C, I am not worried how harsh you guys are, I know you are all just trying to help...and believe me thats what I need, with composition, focus and more. I have been concetrating a lot on exposure lately and trying to get it correct. I went up to these falls today, and these are my 2 favourite from then, so many of the rest just didnt cut it, I know these arent great either, but any tips on how to improve them are very welcomed. Thanks for looking. :)

6822243163_7e1e26c3d2.jpg

#2 - The water doesnt look as nice in this one, due to a faster shutter speed (I Think...lol)
6822241187_197bf920f9.jpg

Hmm, no-one has any tips f or me? Perhaps there is just too much wrong with them. :)

I don't know enough for c&c yet, just know when something looks "off". I love the first! And agree with the shutter on the second. I think it could have been a really nice photo! I wish I had falls to practice on.

I'd say you need a tighter crop on #1. The top left corner, which is more brightly lit than the rest of the shot, is distracting. Also, I get the impression that you're camera isn't level, which is also distracting. Just my $0.02

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. With the first one, I did try a few different crops, as I too found that bright corner to get on my nerves. Havent loaded the crops into my flickr yet, will do and upload it. I really need to invest in a tripod to help with keeping my camera level and more importantly, to keep it from shaking all over the place. :)

I love going up there to the falls, I have a feeling I might head up there more often now, once I get my tripod, and lets hope I remember to change my settings to a slower shutter speed, I am hopeless and ALWAYS forget to check and change the settings.

Trying using a ND filter next time that may make some improvements.

Here is a tighter crop, I still find a thin strip across the top to be distracting. Before I uploaded it to Flickr just now, I did rotate it a little to try and level it, looks like I could have gone a little more I reckon.

6826672887_3dd5d835c2_z.jpg

It looks tilted too.

Trying using a ND filter next time that may make some improvements.

Thanks for that, I will have to invest in one. I only have my camera body, and the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses currently. Have 3 lenses on my to buy list, along with my tripod and a few filters.

Your pictures look fine. Now go take some more. Buy a better lens. You wont regret it.

#1 would look better if viewed from a lower camera angle.

I much prefer the look of the water in # 2 because of the higher shutter speed. I do not like to see water looking like melted plastic. Unfortunately, that is the current fad.

I much prefer the look of the water in # 2 because of the higher shutter speed. I do not like to see water looking like melted plastic. Unfortunately, that is the current fad.

I too like the water in #2, it captures a lot of the detail that you would lose with a lower shutter speed. I think the first picture would have been great if you didn't have the bright spot.

#1 looks great, I like it

#2, I like how you strayed from the longer shutter speed, although I'm sure that would have looked good as well.

Nice job!

\

It's been the current fad for a number of years and 'milky' water has divided opinion for as long as it has been around. I like both types to be honest. The second gives more a sense of energy. OP, how did you steady the camera for the long exposure in the first if you didn't have a tripod? Oh and do get one..

It's been the current fad for a number of years and 'milky' water has divided opinion for as long as it has been around. I like both types to be honest. The second gives more a sense of energy. OP, how did you steady the camera for the long exposure in the first if you didn't have a tripod? Oh and do get one..

Um for the first one I had my camera balanced on bridge railing, I was a little glad that was there. Yes, I certinly will be getting one. :)

I did get #1 from a lower angle, but the rest of it was a bit blurry as I was balancing on a wet slippery rock, trying my best to not fall in the water.

I like the water in two aswell, but had never taken photos before with the slow shutter speed.

Your pictures look fine. Now go take some more. Buy a better lens. You wont regret it.

Thanks heaps for that. :) I sure will be takin gmore, and definitely investing in a couple of better lenses, just need to start saving.

Most reactions

Back