Finally Got a Setup! Ended with violence!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I set up a little back drop (white sheet duct taped to ceiling) and took some pictures. These are my results.

1) I know the white balance is off, but I kind of like the look of it.
$DSC_0190-2.JPG
2) This is probably suited better for females, but what the hay, I need practice.
$DSC_0194-2.JPG
3) Time for me to stop hogging the camera. My roommate Aleks stepped up to the plate!
$DSC_0224-2.JPG
4) He likes to longboard xD
$DSC_0218-2.JPG
5) Contemplation
$DSC_0232-2.JPG
6) Look to the right!
$DSC_0236-2.JPG

7) By this point he was growing tired of me, so he threatened me with a rasengan.
$RasenganAlex.jpg

One thing I noticed was the shadows cast onto my back drop. I was using my camera's flash (diffused) along with our room's overhead fluorescent light, and a small lamp being reflected off a poster on the ground directly in front of him. How would I get rid of the background shadows? I assume more light, but would I also need more room because it was extremely cramped as it was! I was also pretty annoyed by how wrinkly my backdrop was, but perhaps I'll try ironing it sometime and do another shoot. Anyways, what do you think? C&C appreciated!

Yikes. Where do I start. Let's see if I can help you see, and figure some things out yourself. OK, how 'bout #1? Do you notice the lack of light around the eye area? What do you think you could have done to improve on that?

More light of course. The overhead light attached to our ceiling I'm assuming is what created such shadow underneath my eyes.

Yes, very good. Now how to get some light into the eye area. Whaddya think?

............ Throw some fill in there. Consider using that piece of poster board (I assume it's white) underneath to bounce some light into those shadows.

I just looked at my school's library catalog and found that it has several books that I've been recommended. One I'm checking out is "The Art of Photography." I can't wait to see what's in store!

Get further away from the sheet, and light the living CRAP out of it. Multiple lights, multiple angles and tons of light.

It's a garage, got any clamp on work lights? More strobes if you got 'em. Buy some cheap ones with slave capability if you want to do this. You don't need fine control to blow out a white background, so anything will do.

Then photoshop out any remaining shadows! Clone, heal, and adjust contrast.

A few ideas you can try:

On the backdrop taped to the ceiling, also tape it to the floor, stretching it as you do to help remove the wrinkles. Taking the time to iron it first will help.

For the shadows on the backdrop, if you can't get your subject further away from the backdrop because it's a small room, you'll need to get more light on it to blow it out. Try lighting it from behind, using whatever you have available, even several house lamps with the shades removed.

You can also usually get just a little more shooting distance if you set up corner to corner in a room, instead of wall to wall. Another thing that can work is to set up so that you can shoot from outside the room through a doorway, backing up until just before the doorway itself becomes a problem in the composition.

Yeah... I need money :(

I'm going to play nice today for a change. When I first tried to shoot portraits with a backdrop, I had a very small space to work in and it was a pain in the ass. What's been said above is key, so you should listen closely. The further away you can get from the backdrop, the better. 10+ feet is a good starting point. If you don't light it up with strobes or some other source of lighting to blow it out, you're going to have a very difficult time getting rid of the wrinkles which make the shot look crappy. I bought 4 inexpensive Yongnuo YN 560 Mark II strobes for about $75 each on Amazon. So you're talking very little money to get started.

Unfortunately, $75 to me (to a college student) is a lot of money. I was looking at some studios on a budget and I may consider some of those ideas. I did some additional PP on my first image and came up with this. Under the eyes aren't completely lit up, but I think it's better.

$DSC_0190-2.JPG

I'm confused about #2 in the OP. .. how is that more suited for the ladies?

OP, there are some fairly inexpensive light set-ups out there, but, they are continuous lighting. It would be good for throwing a lot of light (that you need) and teach you to learn custom WB.

By "for the ladies," I was saying that emphasizing the lips I've often seen as a feminine trait. As for lighting, I was looking into the continuous lighting. What's the difference?

Most reactions

Back