Finally.

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday afternoon DHL rolled up with my new camera. After one failed attempt to get a good deal on ebay (there's a story I'll relate later...) I got a good dealer and a bunch of accessories that aren't worthy of my trash can - you know, the tripod, mini tripod thingie with flexible legs (that cannot hold a Canon 40D even without a lens) and a cleaning kit, like I need another one...

Oh, and an el-cheap-O 2gb CF card.

So I danced and hopped up and down and drooled and got right to business.

The camera arrived at 2:45. I put the battery in, slapped the memory in, mounted my lens (28-70 f/2.8L), flipped the little "on" switch, set the camera to aperture priority, cranked it up to 2.8, called my son, pressed the button, and...

2112167179_e083b155eb_o.jpg

Comment is invited here...

So now I am taking shots of dead leaves, my dog, my wife's toes...you know.

A few observations:
1 - This thing is WAY fast. Makes me think I can keep shooting, and that's a bad habit I've always had: I fail to properly frame follow-up shots.
2 - Heavy? I mean, my 1N was a ton of camera, but somhow I thought this would be lighter. Still - much easier to hold onto than a xti - the rebels are tiny, and the grip is too small, even for my itty bitty hands.
3 - Familiarity. All the buttons work just like they always have (sorta), and having owned Canons before, it's easy. I haven't bothered opening the book yet.
4 - Battry life. My image counter says 435 pics yesterday, about half with flash. Still shows a full battery indicator, and I haven't even charged the battery yet - this is the charge from the factory.
5 - I am very, very happy.

So: I have offered to help a wedding photographer for free to catch his tricks, but meanwhile I will be doing lots of portraiture - mainly my kids (they're free talent, and cute, too!) Feedback is encouraged.

The cat just passed a hairball. Photo op? Hmmm...

Cheers!

OP
schuylercat

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
All right, dangit: how do I get the pic in the post?

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
To post an image you need to host it somewhere and post a link to the jpg using the square yellow icon button.

Anyway - you haven't said what camera you've had delivered! Is it the Canon 40d?

OP
schuylercat

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Ben,

Yep - it's a Eos 40D. Long story short: I used to shoot Indycars years back (got a lot of exposure, but never made much money) and I sold or mothballed my cameras about 8-9 years ago. My stepson is getting married next year, and he asked me to shoot the event. Like an idiot, I said yes.

Meanwhile - I hosted the image at Flickr. Link won't work. What'd I do wrong?

OP
schuylercat

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Didn't get the whole link.

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
just so you know. It's against flickr's rules to post images hosted by them no forums.

Most reactions

New Topics