Fine Art

'Art' per se is about self-expression and interpretation. It is an idea, an emotion, a point of view. And the motivation behind it is important. Doing the thing for it's own sake or your own pleasure is all it takes. Art in the purest sense has no purpose and no real function.
It is this that differentiates 'art' from 'not-art'.
If something is created for a specific purpose then it disqualifies itself. This is why advertising, fashion and the rest of the 'commercial arts' cannot be considered as 'true' art. They produce products, not art.
These disciplines can take some of the surface values and masquerade as art - but that is all they can do.
And this is where a lot of people get confused. If something looks like art then they think it is art - because they do not bother to look deeper and see the truth.

Just for the sake of interest then, where does the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel fit into this definition then? Is it art? It was certainly a commissioned piece.

Just for the sake of interest then, where does the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel fit into this definition then? Is it art? It was certainly a commissioned piece.

It wasn't about advertising or selling a product (unless you want to refer to religion as a product, that's a whole other discussion), rather, he was commissioned to create a work of art on the ceiling of the chapel.

I agree with Hertz that intents go a long way in determining what is and isn't art though it's by no means a black and white issue. You can certainly have a photo or a film designed to sell a product that can still be called art, or fine art if that's the necessary label.

So I'm thinking that "fine art" is something just beyond understanding for most of us? If so, then it becomes esoteric? If fine art is esoteric, is the following the "theory of everything" in regard to fine art?

Five Esoteric Theses:
I. PERSONALITY
Esoteric Art doesn’t follow trends or movements in the arts. Chosen subject matter shows the personality of the artist. Then a subject matter will alter in the mind of the artist. It will be influenced by the memories and conscious choosing. Artist is in a constant dialog with the subject matter and thru this dialog it will evolve.

II. HONESTY
External influences should not corrupt the artist. Work should always reflect the inner self – soul, if you will - and experiences of the artist. It takes courage to see yourself in the creation. The most challenging thing in the whole creative process is to face your inner self and your subconscious world. True involvement to the creation comes from signing it with your soul. Maker must listen to himself/ herself and change only when it feels right.

III. MYSTICALITY
Great deal of mysticality that is evident in the esoteric art comes from the subconscious. Subconscious messages should not be censored or beautified – they should be raw and strange as they usually are. Way for a subconscious to become conscious is thru free association and sensitivity towards reality. Creatures, symbols and places that you come across in the Esoteric are from the dreams of the maker.

IV. EMOTION
To devote oneself to the emotionality is one of the most important qualifications of the Esoteric. It liberates imagination and makes possible to travel far away to the unknown territory. Art can also wake forgotten emotions from ones own past. Going thru emotions in the perspective of a beholder can be liberating experience. Human can experience all the possible emotions in the art without ever loosing the sense of security. Exaggeration and theatricality are approved effects of the art.

V. IDEA
Art that has some idea can wake and excite intelligence. Idea doesn’t have to be on the level of the conception – it can be in the way of realization, for example in the painting technique. Important is the makers thought process and the reflection of that.

--
from;
Manifest of the Esoteric Art
By JT. Mokko and M. Kaunio
http://esoteric.fi/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=28

So I'm thinking that "fine art" is something just beyond understanding for most of us? If so, then it becomes esoteric?

Not really esoteric but certainly hard to pin down. It's easier to try to define what isn't art because part of the definition of art is that it can't really be defined.
This is hard to understand unless you have some art training or have worked in the arts.
If you have then you know that you don't bother trying to define what you do because it's not important - you just do it ;)

Sorry to raise this from the dead but it was a good read and i still don't have any answers lol.. although i feel i've learned something, i think.

Fine art is in the eye of the beholders or, the one that will pay lots of money for whatever it is. When it costs alot it becomes fine art, everything else seems to be treated like Elvis on velvet.

Art banter aside. One can earn the right to call themselves a fine art photographer with a fine arts degree, regardless of our aesthetic judgments.

I agree with Joves

What I'm wondering is, when does photography become "fine art?"

Where is the line and when and how do we cross it?

When: When others (or yourself) think so - for whatever reasons (including a good pitch [line of BS]).

Where: Depends on the audience. If it's a class of 3rd graders it's in one place, if it's the general public it's in another, if it's a room full of professional photographers or brush artists it's in yet two other places.

How: Having a good photo helps but it's not necessary. Sometimes the accompanying buy-line, setting, or context are stronger than the image technicals and objective artistic qualities. Photographer qualifications or description can affect. And etc. It just all depends on so many variables.

It's art when the artist declares it thus, and is developing a consistent body of work in terms of aesthetics, process, and concept. There is probably exceptions if you want to beat this topic dead, but that's close enough for me.

heh the problem with "fine art" is at the time you create it, it may not be considered art. But when you're dead, its claimed as brilliant artwork and sells for 2 million dollars:roll:. Art is just one of those weird anomalies sometimes.

The price jack after death though makes sense when you think about it. The collection now becomes a sealed body of work with no more additions. If the guy is still alive who's to say he won't start cranking out 5 painting (or 100 photos) a day and drive down the prices?

Yeah the exaggerated rumors of an artist death is probably one of the biggest worries for a high end art dealer haha.

I suppose there verying degrees of everything in life, but Id consider many things art that others probably would not.

I think it means a lot that the artist set out to create this piece not accidentally and not because he was paid to shoot a commercial and decided to also turn it into "art" Theres a ton of bias in there,
(Although he could be improving on allready existing artistic body of work that the agency used when evaluating to hire him or not)

Its dedication, purpose, intent, skill,
but does it speak to you?

thats the really subjective part. Also skill can be debated too, but generally proper exposure, sharpness, and colors are required. Besides that everyone who is trying to speak through their work has a voice, when that voice gets louder and it connects with you, then thats something you want to frame, or buy a book of.

Art is something that provokes emotion in those that experience it all these high and mighty definitions are bull. If I don't feels something when I experience it it isn't art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back