What's new

Firemen in HDR

cpeay

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
721
Reaction score
589
Location
Orem, UT
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_1738-2_tonemapped.jpg
 
How would they have looked in a single exposure photo of the same scene?
 
Nice shot, nice processing. Nothing wrong with a bit of HDR now and then. :-)
 
Unless this is multiple exposures...... also the dynamic range here is not beyond a single shot.
 
Tone-Mapping is NOT HDR. And this has to be a single exposure, unless the OP somehow Froze all those firemen in position. So it is NOT HDR... it is Tone-Mapping. On this one, you could get the same effect with the Saturation slider...
 
Good luck fighting the "tone mapping is not HDR" fight ;) I am more of a descriptive linguist than a prescriptive one, myself.

What are you going for here, cpeay?

You appear to have pulled some detail out of the burned structure, which is interesting to look at. It looks a little odd in terms of the light, as these tonemapping exercises often do, but I get that it's a thing and people like it. Why are the firemen all kind of neon and hypersaturated? This doesn't make any visual sense to me -- I feel like they're perfectly well separated from the background without really any help, and I'm not feeling any reason in terms of the image for making them day-glo. The vivid colors clash with the rest of the feeling of the scene -- I get a sense of "job well done", "job finished", "tired", "resting" from the scene, and the POW of color isn't really playing well with those ideas.

Maybe you're going for a superhero reference here? That might make some sense, but I'd like to see some more action/dynamic feeling in the scene to go with that.

To be honest I assume you're going for a "but it looks cool!" thing here, which is a thing in its own right, I guess. But maybe you're not! Who am I to judge?
 
cgipson1 said:
Tone-Mapping is NOT HDR. And this has to be a single exposure, unless the OP somehow Froze all those firemen in position. So it is NOT HDR... it is Tone-Mapping. On this one, you could get the same effect with the Saturation slider...

And that's the wonders of RAW. You can make several different exposures of the single shot. It's always interesting when myself and others post HDR pics, waiting for the HDR haters to criticise the process.
 
cgipson1 said:
Tone-Mapping is NOT HDR. And this has to be a single exposure, unless the OP somehow Froze all those firemen in position. So it is NOT HDR... it is Tone-Mapping. On this one, you could get the same effect with the Saturation slider...

And that's the wonders of RAW. You can make several different exposures of the single shot. It's always interesting when myself and others post HDR pics, waiting for the HDR haters to criticise the process.

I never criticize the process! I criticize the results, though. Early and often!
 
I think there should be a HDR section within the photo galleries. So then people that want to view HDR can. So if there is any admin reading this that would be good :-)
 
cgipson1 said:
Tone-Mapping is NOT HDR. And this has to be a single exposure, unless the OP somehow Froze all those firemen in position. So it is NOT HDR... it is Tone-Mapping. On this one, you could get the same effect with the Saturation slider...

And that's the wonders of RAW. You can make several different exposures of the single shot. It's always interesting when myself and others post HDR pics, waiting for the HDR haters to criticise the process.

Hardly a hater... I shoot HDR / LDR when the scene calls for it. I even use some light tone-mapping occasionally, when appropriate. What I do dislike is the heavily tone-mapped cartoons that so many NOOBs seem to find interesting... using the default settings in some HDR programs, like Painterly or Grunge. That take no talent, or skill.... :)
 
I think there should be a HDR section within the photo galleries. So then people that want to view HDR can. So if there is any admin reading this that would be good :-)

Except many of us use the ACTIVE TOPICS... which means we see all ACTIVE TOPICS, even the ones that hurt our eyes! :)
 
I dunno about all this but it looks cooked up
 
I don't think the picture above is NOOBISH! That's a bit insulting to the op. there is no right or wrong way of using HDR, it's all down to what the individual likes. I didn't see him say it was a preset anyway?
 
Why is this so much deja vu? I know Ive been here before and know I will be again. Here is another fireman in HDR. Im calling it an HDR, so it is one.

$FiremanKyleLR.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom