What's new

Firework Flowers

Mully

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
3,066
Reaction score
788
Location
Mt Ulla, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$untitled-2-Edit.webp

This is one from a number of flower arrangement shots I had to do. Thoughts??
 
The flowers themselves are, to me, very odd, exotic, and unusual. I am enjoying the jade-colored muslin backdrop cloth...very nice color for the props. It might just be me, but it looks like the image is ever-so-slightly tilted to the left just a tiny bit, like maybe one degree or less. And, this is a nit, but I wish there were a bit more top-space. I dunno...maybe the flowers and vase together are just a little bit too tall for the vase with this aspect ratio???

Looking at it more, I think what is giving the "tilted" feeling is just where the centerline from the top bloom downward toward the table would fall if one subtended a line from the bloom to the table-top.

There are just so *few elements* in this kind of a shot that every single thing has the potential to become, relatively speaking, a big deal.Like for instance, the background lighting source's direction: the background light is coming in from the RIGHT hand side of the frame, and falls off in intensity on the left side of the frame, but the foreground is lighted from the left, and has a big shadow that falls to the right of the vase. To me, that looks, well, unnatural and artificial.

I used to go to a commercial studio in town and hang out when I was a kid. The owner shot a LOT of this kind of classic fruit-in-bowl, flowers-in-vase, old-man-praying while Bible-reading type of stuff. He had an entire studio wall filled with this kind of stuff. I think I prefer this type of shot to have just one direction of light on the foreground and background.
 
nice shot, love the color of the vase. wish it had been shorter. your work exceed my best by miles, so I only try to give an insight.
wonderful flowers, great focus and subject. Later Ed
p.s. Will have a drink or two In DR and Aruba next week for all my TFF friends.
 
Thanks Darrel... It is only one light source with a large fill card. The Ad space dictated the shape.
 
Nice. Can't beat a large soft light source for flowers. Yes, it does seem to have a slight tilt.
 
This is one from a number of flower arrangement shots I had to do. Thoughts??

I could wish the colors didn't clash.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom