Fireworks over a panorama? Photoshop help!

DuncanK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Castlegar B.C. for the summer, Calgary in Septembe
I've got an idea but I'm unsure of how to execute it. I've got tons of stock images of fireworks I've taken over the summer and I want to take those and lay them out over a photomerged panorama I just took.

Here's the panorama

arrowlakes1.jpg

Now here's the gallery to the fireworks. http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/DuncanKin/Fireworks/

A few samples

8.jpg

fireworks.jpg

15.jpg

3.jpg

10.jpg

Thanks for the help guys and girls.

I would try this...

Use the magic wand or 'select color range' to select the dark background of the fireworks shots. Then inverse the selection and then it's a simple copy & paste.

I don't think trying to erase the black background will ever give you a good result. There are too many fine details that will get jagged edges, and black will be left around edges. A very simple way is to paste them in, black background and all, then set the blend mode to "screen". You should now just see the very edges of the black which you can mask off or delete. The fireworks are left a little flat looking, so I would bump the contrast with curves or levels.

To be honest i really dont think this is gonna look good..... average maybe.... but good ..... i doubt it.

The problem is.... the sky in the pano is ALOT lighter than the 'pitch black' of the firework shots..... so even in between the light.... the colour and tone is wrong.
You may have more luck if the pano sky was made alot darker..... and use either the 'screen' method as matt suggested or 'overlay' may be more useful here seeing as tho the contrast is so different.

One you've set the layer to this mode..... adjust the colour/contrast .... and you can try using a layer mask to get rid of unwanted areas..... but its a difficult task.

I think it yields a pretty good result, especially if you darken the sky a bit, and add more contrast, as I've done here.

arrowlakes1.jpg

yea with the sky darker and the good blending, i agree that matts version is looking quite good..... i would have tested it myself if i wern't downloading so much stuff right now.... but it is tough for a novice...... it will need more work duncan.... but dont be shy with it..... get stuck in there!

Green as, I am on this stuff. Would love to have a go just to say I could do it. As an image for me, unless you can put some small reflections in the water its not working for me.

Alex

It would be quite easy to put a reflection in the water, using the same technique as described above, only flipping vertically and fading the opacity.

yea i just tried it..... works ok if copy the firework layer....still on 'screen'... drag it down to the water.... go to edit> transform> distort..... make it lay flat on the water.... add a load of 'gaussian blur'.... and lower the transparency.

The end result was better than i thought actually ;)

I did it at work..... and now im home..... but i'v quickly done another section of it... just to show you.....

I think the water would only need a hint of the colour because it looks a bit choppy..... it's not perfectly calm to get a perfect reflection..... however im just guessing..... more playing would achieve better results...... and you may want a perfect reflection..... but it increases the chance of it looking fake. ;)

arrowlakes2.jpg

Digital Matt said:
I don't think trying to erase the black background will ever give you a good result. There are too many fine details that will get jagged edges, and black will be left around edges. A very simple way is to paste them in, black background and all, then set the blend mode to "screen". You should now just see the very edges of the black which you can mask off or delete. The fireworks are left a little flat looking, so I would bump the contrast with curves or levels.

:confused: Hi Matt, I attempted to follow you advice, but couldn't seem to get anywhere. Do you mind explaining in more detail. I pasted the image in, then tried to find the "blend" mode to no avail. Appreciate your help.
Philip.:confused:

I'll answer on behalf of matt.... the blend modes are on your layer pallet... look where your layers are...... theres a box above them with 'normal' written in it.... click that and somewhere down the list you'll see 'screen'. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back