Fireworks with no tripod?

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys, can you answer?

So i will be viewing awesome fierworks tomorrow night but as i am new to the game i do not own a tripod. I will probably tee up a few shots lying the camera on a bag....but if i hold the camera for shots what would the best settings be? mode + any extra settings?

im thinking:

Shutter mode = 1/60
Iso 800

Would i need to use exposure comp for the night time shot to bring out colour??? any tips please for shooting fireworks from hand. Thanks!!

You can just use a quick shutter speed, but the results are not that great. Best bet is to rest on a rock or something. Ill post one i took with the cam on top of a car when i am at my pc later.

As far as iso goes your best to use 100 at night

Last edited:
buy a bean bag they're cheap or even cheaper bring your pillow along.

Here is one i took with the camrea on the roof of a car

590341e9eb346f6dfd97d3660a173d1f_large.jpg

It's difficult, but doable. If you're using a wide lens and you've a steady hand, you can get down as low as 1/20 - 1/30 sec. Even that however is still rather too fast. I routinely shoot fireworks at 2 -3 seconds. The suggestion of a pillow is a good one; even putting the camera on the ground with a stick to elevate the lens may provided the needed support. Good luck.

you are not on the southside of Brissy by any chance are you? I was taking photo's of the beenleigh show fireworks, did not succeed though as i had the kids hanging off me, need to ditch them next time :) LOL

That's a cool image james, it would be real cool if u got rid of the wires and the fireworks to the left of the image, would be wicked. If it was my image I'd take the time ;)

you are not on the southside of Brissy by any chance are you? I was taking photo's of the beenleigh show fireworks, did not succeed though as i had the kids hanging off me, need to ditch them next time :) LOL

Northside! we went to new farm on sat for the fireworks.....they were awesome!! it was too crowded to find a car with a good view so had to shoot from hand...photos came out ok, but nothing to write home about.

i wanna tripod :(

yeh tripod would be handy. I tried to get to the top of Mt Gravatt lookout but it was backed so i resorted to watching it on T.V :(

Search "camera bean bag" under Google Images, you will see a lot of examples. :)

That's a cool image james, it would be real cool if u got rid of the wires and the fireworks to the left of the image, would be wicked. If it was my image I'd take the time ;)

You may be right there, ill have a go at when i get a spare moment

Most reactions

New Topics

Back