First 15minute exposure with my D40

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my first attempt at shooting the night sky with my D40. I just kinda aimed and shot. I was using the kit lens, and I'm pretty sure I was zoomed all the way out at 18mm. Can you guys give me some tips to make this look better next time I do it? Is it overexposed?
dsc0105mediummn1.jpg

how exactly did you do a 15minute exposure? i thought the shutter speed could only be slowed down to 30 seconds on the D40. I have a D60, (very similar in functionality) and would love to know how you got that much time out of it.

The D60 has a bulb function, but you have to either do it with a remote (which i don't have) or hold the button for the entire length of the exposure (camera shake vulnerable)

ShutterSpeed..... get yourself a wireless remote (and a tripod). They both come in real handy.

First of all, I don't think it's overexposed.

Second, too bad it doesn't show more of mother earth.

Third, how did you get the color?

how exactly did you do a 15minute exposure? i thought the shutter speed could only be slowed down to 30 seconds on the D40. I have a D60, (very similar in functionality) and would love to know how you got that much time out of it.

The D60 has a bulb function, but you have to either do it with a remote (which i don't have) or hold the button for the entire length of the exposure (camera shake vulnerable)

Might not be much different from my XTi. I took some night shots last week. Not sure if the same works using the on-camera shutter button but I was using a remote trigger. In bulb speed, I held the trigger button for 3 seconds then let go. The shutter still remained open and a counter on my camera screen started. When the desired time was reached, I just tapped my trigger button again and the shot ended.

Filter or ambient light I bet. Second, It is good, just it needs a darker sky.

Set your WB as cool as it will go, I like to start at 2500K and go from there, that way night looks like night.

Get out of the city if you want to do star trails, if you're in a big city, you'll have to do some major traveling, be prepared for an overnight trip, but at least you'll be able to see something.

And I agree with the above poster, you need foreground.

But hey, be happy you at least got something, most people can't figure out how to star trails.

ShutterSpeed..... get yourself a wireless remote (and a tripod). They both come in real handy.

i knew i could do it with a wireless remote and a tripod. I've got a tripod, just not the remote yet.

on another note, i wasn't aware that the D40 had a 'bulb' setting where you could extend the exposure time as long as you wanted.

I had a remote, its a ML-L3 (the one that works with the D40), I put it on bulb, set the alarm on my phone, and went in the house for 15minutes. I dont live in the city, this was in my back yard where there are a bunch of trees. The color was another thing I was wondering about, I dont know why, but whenever I do night stuff it always comes out reddish. I figured it was my WB but whenever I try to do a custom setting, it never works.

I had a remote, its a ML-L3 (the one that works with the D40), I put it on bulb, set the alarm on my phone, and went in the house for 15minutes. I dont live in the city, this was in my back yard where there are a bunch of trees. The color was another thing I was wondering about, I dont know why, but whenever I do night stuff it always comes out reddish. I figured it was my WB but whenever I try to do a custom setting, it never works.

when i've done them, it seems that some street lamps, even far off ones can add that redness into your image.

i guess i need to get that remote this weekend..they didn't look that expensive when i priced them a few minutes ago.

I think they run for about $20 or less, its like half the size of the D40's battery

Just be careful going too long. After 15 minutes your sensor will already be quite hot. Who knows how long an exposure you can take before the camera takes an expensive trip to the shop.

It's a 15 min exposure so 1 second of camera shake won't matter. Grab a larger rubber band and a small ball of paper. Put the paper on the shutter and hold it down with the rubber band. Worked a treat when my D200 remote broke during a night shoot once.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back