First Attempt at a Night Sky

786soul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first attempt at the night sky on a clear night.

Unfortunately even an hour North of Toronto isn't enough to get away from light pollution hence my lens pointed further up than I wanted. C&C is welcome.

$starscape-1-enhanced_zpsf78814cf.jpg

I think you did a great job, I love it :)

I find a shot of the night sky to be far more compelling when there is more "non-sky" elements in the composition.
Seems like you are getting the hang of the process. Now work on creating an interesting composition.

Yeah, it definitly got something interesting with only those wires in the foreground. Well done.

I am of the opposite opinion. To me power lines have no place in night time photography. The lines in this one is very distracting. I agree with sleist that the OP has the technique down but needs to work on the composition. Keep practicing!

I would agree that now that you seem to have the exposure settings figured out, to work on composition. My first night sky photos I was just excited that I got some stars to show up, but just like other types of photography it all comes down to composition. Like what EOV said, I'm not a fan of the powerlines. There's this lighthouse that we'll go to sometimes because it's a very dark spot, but the actual lighthouse is on an island just offshore and there are powerlines which go out there and it's difficult getting a photo without them in the frame- hate that.

Night sky photography is amazing and half the fun is just going out and learning, so have fun!

Thanks guys, next time out I'll definitely be looking at composition more. I also really need to get further out of town as light pollution was a big issue here. Even though I was in a fairly secluded place (it would seem) there was a huge amount of light spilling into the bottom of some of my frames.

Maybe I'll do an overnighter

I think you did a great job!! I am just trying to learn this too.

When I first started shooting at night I was really surprised how far I needed to go from any towns to avoid light pollution. Even some of the darker areas I travel to, which are about 40 minutes from any towns, and small towns at that, I will see some light pollution along the horizon.

To my rookie eye this is awesome. I am very impressed. I kind of like the power lines. They definitely add a dimension to the photo for me... almost accentuating the vast nature of space somehow. I also like the trespassing light pollution. It adds a certain contrast for me that makes the photo more dynamic. Again, I am no pro, but I am very impressed by this... especially for a first attempt!

I am of the opposite opinion. To me power lines have no place in night time photography. The lines in this one is very distracting. I agree with sleist that the OP has the technique down but needs to work on the composition. Keep practicing!

Have to agree. Between power lines and billboards there is much of the Worlds landscape that has beauty stolen from it.

As far as OP's picture is overall good but I don't like the power lines.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back