What's new

First Attempt at Black and White (and a few others) C&C please :)

Lraccomando

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Location
Salem, MA and Amherst, MA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, the sky was really overcast this morning so I decided to try out some Black and white images, first experiment with that so let me know how its working :) Thanks!

Littlewilly.jpg


SeaPostsBW.jpg


And these two, while not black and white, also came out of this morning's session, let me know what you think :)

RustyLever.jpg


BuoyForestRiver.jpg


Thank you very much! :)
 
LOL @ #1, LIttle willy LOL. Too bad you cut off the reflection.

The 3rd one is a very interesting subject. You should comeback and redo it if you can. The focus needs to be sharp at the part closest to you I think. But man.. the color is nice!
 
Thank You!
Yeah I loved the color of the rust with the blue, hoping to get back out tomorrow or tuesday to the same area so I'll try re-shooting then.
 
C&C per req:

1. A very nice scene; lots of interesting elements. As mentioned, a shame that the reflection has been cropped from the stern of the boat; that would almost have made an image on it's own. The monochrome conversion is a bit mid-tone rich, but on a day like that, not much you can do. Compositionally, I think I would have moved my camera's aimpoint to the left slightly and used the the bow of the boat to point to the centre of the image.

2. This one isn't really working for me. THe pilings are so dark they have an appearance as if they were almost added in after, and with the boats behind them, it's rather confusing. Here again, I think a slight position change, this to the right, to put the first few pilings in more of a line and expose the boats behind them, would have made the image that much stronger.

3. This one has some great texture and colour; nothing like the waterfront for rusty metal. I think here I'd prefer to see a tighter crop image left to eliminate the gap between the two pieces and as well, for the focus to be on the element closes to the foreground. You've got an area just beyond tack-sharp, but not the foreground.

4. An interesting idea, but I think there's just too much area around it. The trees in the background are really competing and I think the float line loses out. I'm not really sure what the solution here might be, unless perhaps to get down to ground-level and shoot directly along the line from a position in the background.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom