first attempt at HDR!

Gsurf1029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
and it was at night. i took this at the holocaust memorial last night. i know it probably isnt the best HDR image, but what do you think? :)

yayayay.jpg

Lights are too light (flared lamps) and darks are too dark (shadows). There are a lot of HDR halos throughout. I don't know if you chose a good scene or it is just processed poorly.

Are you using photomatrix?

i used photomatix. any tips would be amazing. i want to get it to that still realistic, but very vivid state, and not overly/poorly done like mine but idk how to. anyone know anything that could help me out?

It looks far too fake, unless that is the effect you are seeking, try toning it down.

i used photomatix. any tips would be amazing. i want to get it to that still realistic, but very vivid state, and not overly/poorly done like mine but idk how to. anyone know anything that could help me out?

How many exposures did you use? Can you post your original photos?

That's crazy, it almost looks like a cartoon.

Agreed, it looks like a painting.

I think it's a good example of overdone HDR... But I think that these types of photos DO have a place. Cartoony looks, to me, are cool even if some don't like them.

I see HDR as a way to take a picture with high contrast and lots of shadows/bright areas, and end up with an image in which you can easily view the shadows/bright areas. That lighthouse photo is an excellent example of it.

anyone know a good way to tone it down even. i was having a hard time with it in photomatix. ill post the originals and maybe someone can help out.

its hard for me to get a smooth edit. here are the originals
sorry for size

nighthdr11.jpg

nighthdr12.jpg

nighthdr13.jpg

The HDR looks too cartoony and overdone. I don't think the effect suits a memorial. I like the looks of original #1. The sky looks kinda haunted and cool. If you had spiced up the composition on that photo and kept the exposure as is , I think it would have been a cool photo, without HDR or anything.

I'm personally not a fan of photoshopped images and HDRs much. An unusual but realistic looking picture is far more impressive to me.

Looking at your originals, I don't think any HDR is needed here and it's going to be hard to make it look good

yes, the more i look at it the more i can see it was a bad image for hdr. ill have to keep and original and edit it as is.

yeah, so ive pretty much realized this picture is just no good, so i scrapped it.
here is a more subtle merge of some photos during the day.
any better?

TheHand.jpg

Most reactions

Back