First attempt at HDR

BigknockHawk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I attended an event in Des Moines, IA at Living History Farms. A local photography store sponsors an annual event where you pay admission and there are dozens of professionals there to instruct "classes" on different aspects of photography. There were things like Composition, Macro photography, Landscape photography, etc. One class that I went to was on HDR photography. I became intrigued and thought I might like to try it.

I downloaded the trial of Photomatix Pro and went out to take some pictures. I took some of my church. The shots were taken on a Canon T1i with the Tokina 11-16 2.5/f wide angle lens. My ISO was at 100 and the stop was at 5.6, I believe. I took them, bracketed at -2/0/+2. These shots were taken at approx 430 PM.

When I ran them through Photomatix, I didn't get the results I was expecting after looking at and researching some HDR photos online. Maybe my problem was the settings I took the originals at, or maybe I need more than just 3 exposures. I am not sure, but I would be very open to your suggestions.

Here is the resulting photo. Sorry for the watermarks, as I have not yet decided if I will end up purchasing the Photomatix.

2502586170043326296tEazHj_th.jpg

Id say you did a pretty good job for first time out. None of the problems that usually occurs like nuclear grass or halos in the sky. Everything is sharp and clear. Im not fussy about the composition and dont like the shadows. But as for an HDR its a good one.

i would agree with bynx, and feel the issue is probably practice and exerperince.

not meaning to be rude , but this technique is more than clicking a few buttons and moving a slider around randomly. It , like every other photo process and technique takes work. So just keeping having fun and take lots of photos.

the number of exposures should be based on the contrast range not a specific pre-determined number.

i would agree with bynx, and feel the issue is probably practice and exerperince.

not meaning to be rude , but this technique is more than clicking a few buttons and moving a slider around randomly. It , like every other photo process and technique takes work. So just keeping having fun and take lots of photos.

the number of exposures should be based on the contrast range not a specific pre-determined number.

Thanks for the feedback from both you and Bynx! I appreciate it!

Ok, tried again. Much more pleased with this effort. I still have a long way to go, but I am determined to get this.

Once again, sorry for the watermarks, but I am still deciding if I am going to shell out the $$ for Photomatix. Feedback is welcomed and wanted.
8EVELY

Last edited:
there are lots of sites you can order from getting a 15% discount.

dan burkholder is one, and i am sure stuckincustoms will have that feature as well.

People who are well known and use the product don't make anymoney from this , but it is good pr for eveyone.

Most reactions

Back