What's new

First attempt at macro...

Scout

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego Co, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I just received my extension tube order today. So I thought I try it out. Pics are of a cactus in my kitchen. Overall I have a lot of work to do but excited about all the possibilities! It is also one of my first attempts to go full manual. (Still trying to figure out proper exposures and DOF!) Advice always appreciated!

#1 f/5 1/60 sec ISO 400 (I meant to set it at 100)

macro013b.jpg


#2 f/5.6 1/50 sec ISO 100

macro052b.jpg
 
What's the Max aperture of your Macro lens? Remember, if you set those shots to ISO 100, they would have come out darker, so you would have to have either went with a slower shutter (I'm guessing your handheld so be careful) or a higher aperture (depends on what your lense is capable of).

Congrats on the lens. I'm jealous.
 
I was using a Canon 18-55mm kit lens and then a 36mm extension tube. I believe the max is f/5. I did use a tripod but it still jiggled a bit. I will play with the new remote tomorrow. :wink:
 
I am no sure how to calculate the actual mm of the lens with an extension tube. Can you put it in laymans terms for me? Is it just simply adding the values or is there an equation?
 
Well, I just received my extension tube order today. So I thought I try it out. Pics are of a cactus in my kitchen. Overall I have a lot of work to do but excited about all the possibilities! It is also one of my first attempts to go full manual. (Still trying to figure out proper exposures and DOF!) Advice always appreciated!
The first shot is pretty neat even if most of it isn't in focus...kinda abstract. It's a little overexposed. Composition is good.

I like the second shot but I wish you were as close as the first shot...the black area on the right side is a little bothersome.

You generally have to use a higher f/stop (smaller aperture opening) when shooting up close to get a deeper DOF so that more of the subject is in focus. Learn how to focus manually. Using a tripod is almost mandatory. Learn how to use the mirror lock-up feature of your XTi.

Macro Photography For Beginners - Part 1

Macro Photography For Beginners - Part 2

Macro Photography: How To Take Close-Up Pictures Of Small Things

Macro Photography Tutorial
 
I think Samanax gave you the pointers to some very helpful info.

I have a heck of a time with Macro, which just makes me mad enough to try again and again..

Maybe one of these days I'll have an epihony, slap my self upside of my own head..say wow, I could have had a V8, and get the hang of it....

J.:mrgreen:
 
I am no sure how to calculate the actual mm of the lens with an extension tube. Can you put it in laymans terms for me? Is it just simply adding the values or is there an equation?

No equations....it is just a 36mm tube that I put in between the lens and the camera body. It looks like this-

tube002.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom