First Attempt at Night Photography C&C

Erikah672

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at Nighttime shooting. C&C appreciated also if someone could tell me how to make a long exposer and not blow out the lights it would be appreciated, or do two photos have to be merged together to achieve that look?

1. 15 sec
5228438832_11143dc26b_b.jpg

2. 25 sec
5227840529_9052e9638a_b.jpg

3. 38.5 Sec
5227837563_3b566a98bf_b.jpg

4. 25.3
5228436998_ed22ca0d66_b.jpg

These are all really well exposed, nice work I like number 4 the best

Thanks, I was thinking alot where under exposed because of the black sky, but i guess thats what you get with Night shooting. Only thing that drives me nuts are getting the lights right :(

Thanks, I was thinking alot where under exposed because of the black sky, but i guess thats what you get with Night shooting. Only thing that drives me nuts are getting the lights right :(
the lights are as much atmospheric (mist in the air) and lens as exposure.

I have a lens that makes all the lights pretty little stars and one that they are fuzzy blobs :er:

the lights are as much atmospheric (mist in the air) and lens as exposure.

I have a lens that makes all the lights pretty little stars and one that they are fuzzy blobs :er:

Humm.... might have to look into the star one. I think they are more pleasing then bright white blobs :D

Number 3 is excellent, I love the exposure of the rocks in the foreground.

It's kinda impossible at times to not have the lights blown out, but if you stop down your lens to a very small aperture you will get the 'pretty little stars' effect from them. I can't see your exif data so not too sure what aperture you were shooting at though I'd imagine it must have been fairly small to get those long exposure times. Another option is to buy a star filter (I think that's what they're called) which give the same star effect, though I'd personally prefer not to use them if possible.

All great shots. I actually like the look of the lights. They give them a nice flare look.

IMO:
The lights are fine. I want to love #3 but I'm not liking the blue lights right in the middle of the pic. Because of that, #4 is my fav.

Number 3 is excellent, I love the exposure of the rocks in the foreground.

It's kinda impossible at times to not have the lights blown out, but if you stop down your lens to a very small aperture you will get the 'pretty little stars' effect from them. I can't see your exif data so not too sure what aperture you were shooting at though I'd imagine it must have been fairly small to get those long exposure times. Another option is to buy a star filter (I think that's what they're called) which give the same star effect, though I'd personally prefer not to use them if possible.

Thanks these where the apertures. Can't wait to do more night shooting :D
1. F5.3
2. F5
3. F8
4. F5.3

All great shots. I actually like the look of the lights. They give them a nice flare look.

Thanks, Guess I'm Just picky then :lmao:

IMO:
The lights are fine. I want to love #3 but I'm not liking the blue lights right in the middle of the pic. Because of that, #4 is my fav.
Thanks.
Yea, Blue light = stop light no real way to remove it. Only thing i can think of is wait till it turns red. But at that time of night it takes forever since the cars usually don't come off the side road and it all trigged by the cars weight. :D

LOL..so it's really a green light, not blue...hehe.

Woud it be possible to move the camera up so the pier blocks out some of it?

Although it makes an awesome reflection on the water all the way back to the camera.

LOL..so it's really a green light, not blue...hehe.

Woud it be possible to move the camera up so the pier blocks out some of it?

Although it makes an awesome reflection on the water all the way back to the camera.

Yea its actualy a green light :lmao: Could move the camera up but then i would loose the rocks in the foreground. May sounds stupid but since its showing up blue does that mean my white balance is off?

It's greenish-blue. I think it's just the distance away that give it the color. It's the color of green traffic lights (IMO).

I like 3 the best

Most reactions

New Topics

Back