first attempt at oil drops

vlmason8199

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK so I am new to this but take a look at my first attempt at oil and let me know what you think.

oil drops by vlmason, on Flickr

Last edited:
gosh, thanks Mishele. At least someone is nice enough to post the link. Everyone else.... just plain rude!

(lol, had to bash myself if no one else was going to say it was rude and that I could have just posted the link)

Lol poor thing was probably scared off...

Its okay little guy, post your picture....

Thank You Mishele! Here it is, please take a look!

It's macro baby!! Get closer!! :hug:::sexywink: It looks like it would be cool if you cropped it closer.
How did you shoot this? Did you have any light coming from underneath? It doesn't look it.

Well, nice first attempt, but I wouldn't try to do this in the sink. The plug hole will always be too much of a distraction.
And you must get closer.
In order to create a real abstract, you need to actually use a macro lens on these oil droplets.

I did my_series in a flat bottom glass bowl - light was sunlight streaming in through a window. Background was gift wrapping paper, and I elevated the bowl high enough above it so - with the lens set to "macro" - it blurred completely to only give me the coloured background.

This was actually oil in red koolaid and it was not in a sink but bowl. I did not have any light underneath but maybe I should! Thaks for the feedback and will try some more.

gosh, thanks Mishele. At least someone is nice enough to post the link. Everyone else.... just plain rude!

(lol, had to bash myself if no one else was going to say it was rude and that I could have just posted the link)

LMAO!! :biglaugh:

And I also thought it was the sink.. lol. I think its a good first try!

The bottom of your bowl does make it look like a sink drain.

If you don't have a dedicated macro lens, look into extension tubes. Kenko is one brand that seems to be well thought of.

A change of perspective is in order then:

5432673240_24623b1ea7.jpg

Most reactions

Back