What's new

first attempt at shooting a live band... (56k warning)

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
112
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester, UK
My mates band (The Magic) asked me to take a few shots of their gig last night - I'm still learning every day how to use my camera properly - but this was a real test! I didnt want to use a flash - as that ruins the atmosphere I think - and probably would put off the band!!

here are a few shots which are my favourite - had to mess around with PSP to get the colours right... any comments appreciated!! Also - anyone who's got any tips / advice it'd be much appeciated!

(click each image for the larger version)

1.


2.



3.


4.



5.



I'll be honest - I had a nightmare getting the shutter speed right half the time!!!
 
I love image 4. It captures the drummers mood so well, it looks like he's having a great time, I might try cropping the hand out of the bottom of the image and have it as a square composition and see how it looks. I like the colour casts in the images as well, presumably created by the stage lights.

For low light photography and being a beginner these are pretty damned good, keep trying and you'll shoot like a pro in no time :)
 
Very good. You catched some nice expressions so your timing is good. I like them all.

Eric
 
thanks for the comments guys! I took a load of photos of the band who were on before them to test the settings etc. Most of the photos I shot in "H" ISO mode, which I believe is 3200 ISO? The images were very dark still, as the stage lights were not that bright.

Would a flash gun have helped, or would it have taken the edge off the shots? I mean, I dont really like using a flash as it ruins the look a little (I think!)...
 
I agree.... i prefer these band shots without the flash. But you have to weigh up the factors... do you want non blurry shots with a flash... or do you want colourful full of character shots without the flash. But of course, if it's way to dark, I think you simply have to use the flash. :-(

I think you did a great job on all of them!
 
for me the 5th one is the best - great light... and I'd like to see it somewhen on the cover of their CD!!!! :D:D:D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom