First attempt at Silky Water...C&C please!

scottedont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempt at trying to get that silky look on moving water. I didn't have a tripod so the camera was sitting on a picnic table. Can you guys give me opinions, suggestions for improving, basically some good ole C&C!

Thanks

$IMG_0258_1.jpg

I think for a camera to be sitting on a table that means you were limited in what you were able to get in the frame, so good job in working with what you have!

Three questions:

1: What time were these taken?
2: Did you use a circular polarizer?
3: What were your exposure settings?

Not bad. A bit bright though. try using a polarizer and a neutral density filter. I would also like to see a lower angle if you could get one.

Here are some that I've posted for review. For these I got there early in the morning before the sun really had a chance to shine on the water. using a tripod and a circular polarizer, I set exposure to about 2-2.5seconds, f11-f18, and iso between 100-200.

$_DSC2782.jpg$_DSC2832.jpg$_DSC2848.jpg

I think for a camera to be sitting on a table that means you were limited in what you were able to get in the frame, so good job in working with what you have!

Three questions:

1: What time were these taken?
2: Did you use a circular polarizer?
3: What were your exposure settings?

1. They were taken about 1:00pm when the sun was pretty harsh. The shade from the trees helped a little, but there were a lot of hotspots coming through gaps in tress.
2. I didn't use any filters.
3. f/36, 4.00s, iso 100

We went to the mountains for a picnic and we were rushing around and all I grabbed was my camera. Next time I think I'll plan the picture better by doing it earlier in the morning and remembering my tripod.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Here are some that I've posted for review. For these I got there early in the morning before the sun really had a chance to shine on the water. using a tripod and a circular polarizer, I set exposure to about 2-2.5seconds, f11-f18, and iso between 100-200.

Those pictures are beautiful! I aspire to get my skill set there one day!

I'm in Bedford........it's in between Roanoke and Lynchburg.

Wow this is remarkable shot with limited resource. Good work

Do get ND filter for such kind of shots and not forgetting the TRIPOD.

@caseysrt, lovely shots.

ahh you're pretty far then! Once you start getting the small details of when to shoot water the rest will come pretty easy, it did for me. Remember to turn the polarizer until you don't see the reflection from the sun on the water, and every time you move your tripod you will have to readjust your polarizer.

Finding a spot down in a valley / hollow is nice because it gives you time as well as soft light to work with while the sun is trying to come up, but not that hard direct light that's hard to avoid once it comes out.

Thanks for the advice........I just got a DSLR and am learning so much through the forum, internet, and practicing. Looks like I'm going to start doing some research on filters! Thanks for the input and comments!

As everyone else said. Tripod is most important. You could get by with out the polarizer and Neutral Density filter. But they turn out better with. You won't get the look of the water in the forground in caseysrt first shot with out a polarizer. To get better results with out you would have to go much much later in the day, or early in the morning. I typically try to aim for maybe an hour before sunset to get there and set up and I usually shoot through sunset until its dark enough to need a flashlight to get back to the car. (I usually forget a flash light though) :) But it is much easier and usually better results with a polarizer or ND. I've been wanting to get a ND that's a future purchase. Composition wise its not bad for being stuck keeping it on a table. And of course next time don't forget the tripod. :)

$IMG_0258_1.jpg

I messed with it, hope you dont mind. :) I like it, specially for the first try and with the restrictions you had. I just upped the contrast, and did a crop ( but idk about the crop now that i look at it.) But good job :)

Most reactions

Back