What's new

first attempt at star trail photog

AF44

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Orange County California, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
took this one in lake powell, utah

16 minute exposure, 400 iso, 18mm, f:4.5



rotatedstars.jpg




tell me what you think!
 
Last edited:
Thats pretty crazy. I assume a run of the mill lens wouldn't be able to pull this off?
 
actually this is with the stock lens on the camera... the squiggly lines in the pic are me trying to get the camera where i want it when the shutter is open... or aliens!
 
Aliens sounds like the logical choice.
 
Wow cool shot! I've never been able to get very good results with star trails.

The only thing that bugs me is the amp glow in the top left, but I suppose there's nothing you can do about that. I'd also recommend bumping the ISO down to it's lowest setting.

Thanks for sharing! :)
 
Last edited:
took this one in lake powell, utah

16 minute exposure, 400 iso, 18mm, f:4.5
I would've done it at the lowest iso possible.

Thats pretty crazy. I assume a run of the mill lens wouldn't be able to pull this off?
You assume incorrectly. You can do it just about anywhere if you have a tripod, cable release and little to no light pollution *cough* NYC *cough* or hazy skies.
 
You'd also probably not want to do this when the Milky Way fills a significant part. Because you're doing trails, the Galaxy just looks like a broad, fuzzy cloud that - to me, at least - interferes with the rest of the composition.

A shorter exposure and/or lower ISO would help reduce the magenta glow in the upper left.
 
The magenta glow is probably the sensor getting hot. Try shorter exposures (maybe not longer than 10 minutes), with low ISO.
 
thanks a lot for all the replies next time i will try a lower iso and not pointing it at the milky way and see what kind of results i get
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom