First attempt at Sunset!!! Pls C&C

AJRacca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's my first attempt at a sunset shot. All I have is gimp to edit and all i did was just add my watermark. I was also wondering why the quality of the image isn't so good when I save it?

ARC_Sunset2.jpg

ARC_sunset.jpg

Did you shoot in raw only? And what program do you use to edit?

It's a good start, but not really enough sun to make it a sunset image. Try and compose an image where the sun and horizon feature more prominently. As for the quality loss, are you saving it as a low-resolution .jpg? When you save the image you should be presented with a dialogue box which asks what quality you want. Always select the highest quality possible, and remember that .jpg is a "lossy" image format; that means that each time you open it and then save it, you will lose some quality.

Really dark. Did you do any PP?

Did you shoot in raw only? And what program do you use to edit?
I shot in jpeg fine, I only have Gimp to edit, which I have only used it to put my watermark. I don't have Cs5 or lightroom to shoot in RAW for now.

It's a good start, but not really enough sun to make it a sunset image. Try and compose an image where the sun and horizon feature more prominently. As for the quality loss, are you saving it as a low-resolution .jpg? When you save the image you should be presented with a dialogue box which asks what quality you want. Always select the highest quality possible, and remember that .jpg is a "lossy" image format; that means that each time you open it and then save it, you will lose some quality.
I tried saving it in high resolution. When I open it it looks fine. But I've downloaded it on flickr and photobucket and the quality isn't so great.
Really dark. Did you do any PP?
No, no pp done. This is kind of the affect I tried to get. All my other photos, the sky was blown out.

How are you shooting this? What settings are on the camera? What does the EXIF file say?

Personally, I like the feeling of these images, but that's just my personal opoinion.

EXIF:

1st image

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2011-06-26 20:16:35 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 48.0mm (35mm equivalent: 72mm)
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Comment: ARC PHOTO

2nd image

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2011-06-26 20:12:53 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 45.0mm (35mm equivalent: 67mm)
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Comment: ARC PHOTO

Personally, I like the feeling of these images, but that's just my personal opoinion.EXIF:1st imageCamera Maker: NIKON CORPORATIONCamera Model: NIKON D7000Image Date: 2011-06-26 20:16:35 (no TZ)Focal Length: 48.0mm (35mm equivalent: 72mm)Aperture: f/11.0Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)ISO equiv: 200Exposure Bias: noneMetering Mode: MatrixExposure: ManualExposure Mode: ManualWhite Balance: AutoFlash Fired: No (enforced)Orientation: NormalColor Space: sRGBGPS Coordinate: undefined, undefinedComment: ARC PHOTO2nd imageCamera Maker: NIKON CORPORATIONCamera Model: NIKON D7000Image Date: 2011-06-26 20:12:53 (no TZ)Focal Length: 45.0mm (35mm equivalent: 67mm)Aperture: f/11.0Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)ISO equiv: 200Exposure Bias: noneMetering Mode: MatrixExposure: ManualExposure Mode: ManualWhite Balance: AutoFlash Fired: No (enforced)Orientation: NormalColor Space: sRGBGPS Coordinate: undefined, undefinedComment: ARC PHOTO
Exif ^ right here. And thanks

Like the color and mood. But I would prefer to use telephoto lens.

It looks like you missed the sunset. Shouldn't the sun just be dipping below the horizon, not completely below it?

Like the color and mood. But I would prefer to use telephoto lens.
Thanks and i don't have the funds for better lens just yet.
It looks like you missed the sunset. Shouldn't the sun just be dipping below the horizon, not completely below it?
Lol one of my pictures has the sun, but i went out a little late and tried to get a good shot before the sun was completely gone.

Most reactions

Back