First attempts at flowers

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot with my Canon S90 on it's last leg. Direction welcome. I am drawn to the colors and shapes. Not sure if they are any good but I like them. Never thought I would take a picture of a flower but a couple of members here inspired me. Shot at Hawks Cay Resort in Florida. I tried to think about where the light was coming from. Tried to frame better with no crop but not quite there yet (no viewfinder). Tried to capture the color and texture. I poorly framed the large red one, must have moved.

b37f830874cb7d14b57db54afcf45dfb.jpg

b1ea205e58aa0edd31c40bfa7b1a4305.jpg

e9cf263b4124edc03ad17e65e5b98bde.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The second two are nice, but I'm really digging that first one. I'd try cropping the leaves out on the bottom and just leave it (hah! See what I did there? Didn't even plan it :laugh2:) as the stalk and blossom against that cool fern texture in the background.

The second two are nice, but I'm really digging that first one. I'd try cropping the leaves out on the bottom and just leave it (hah! See what I did there? Didn't even plan it :laugh2:) as the stalk and blossom against that cool fern texture in the background.
Thank you for the direction... Is this better? I assume the leaves were distracting.
d6aae33830de23bae998473c1edef133.jpg

Yeah, I think that looks really nice. The leaves were a bit distracting, yes. They took away from the main visual interest of that flower, the blurred one in the background that sort of echoes the foreground flower, and the texture/shape of the fern. It's a great study of form and color. If I did anything else, it would be to clone out that little blob on the top right.

Yeah, I think that looks really nice. The leaves were a bit distracting, yes. They took away from the main visual interest of that flower, the blurred one in the background that sort of echoes the foreground flower, and the texture/shape of the fern. It's a great study of form and color. If I did anything else, it would be to clone out that little blob on the top right.
Thanks limr. I will try that tonight and repost result. Your direction is most helpful.

the first pic like what limr see has a distracting background, the second pic is nice but still have that "busy" background. The third one is a little out of focus i guess. i think you should focus on the stigma or whatever it is called. Btw these are just my opinions. :)

Most reactions

Back