First attempts w/my Nikon (3 pics)

Taralyn Romero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I've finally moved up in the digital world and now have a Nikon D50! Unfortunately, the only thing I've really used up to this point are "point and shoot" cameras that did EVERYTHING for me... so, I feel like I'm starting from point one all over again - its very frustrating but its a challange I like.

These are some shots I took today. I'm amazed at how fun playing with the DOF is!!! I've never been able to do that before except in photo editing programs. So, thanks for looking and comments are welcome - like I said, I feel like I'm starting from the beginning all over again so any feedback is MUCH APPRECIATED.

Redleaf.jpg

Purpletwigs.jpg

Goldenweeds.jpg

wow! the last one is the best! were they taken with a kit lens???

Thanks Mentos :) No, I didn't go with the kit lens when I bought the camera just because I wanted something with a lower aperature capability. So, I went with a 50mm - having so much fun with it. I don't think I've taken a picture yet above F1.8 hahaha!

Thank you JonK - encouragement is always greatly appreciated!

*so far I'm very entertained with the 50mm...very.

great choice of camera and awesome shots.
looking forward to many more!

Thank you JonMikal, its always nice to hear from you - I'm very happy with my camera choice and can't wait to get out there and get some REAL interesting shots! Planning on going snowboarding soon so maybe then I will have something more to show than some dead foliage. lol.

I really like that first photo here! Really much! VERY much.
All three of them are fascinating by their shallow DOF, but the first does stand out to me.
So you got yourself a prime lens?
Well... my husband (erm: my very own "Father Christmas") got the kit in the end when he bought (erm: brought) me the EOS 350D, so I still haven't got a 1.8/50mm lens, but who knows... eventually I might...

Thanks Alexandra - if they seem full of life, its because the camera brings out such vibrant colors!

LaFoto - thanks for the comments! You must get a 1.8/50mm lens! It's quite addicting though, I must say. I can't seem to stop playing with mine. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) none of my pics have been above F1.8 yet! hahaha I'm just usin' and abusin' it!

You're not alone with the f/1.8 virus. It just gives too interesting results not to use it. Nice pictures.

Congrats on the camera and the 50mm!

I like 1 and 3!! Good light to back up the wide aperture! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back