First Baby Session - C&C Welcomed

TimothyJinx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple from my first baby session. It was pretty enjoyable since I'm a big fan of babies anyway.

#1 $IMG_7026sm2.jpg

#2$IMG_7183sm.jpg

i love the 2nd one. i think its just a bit too bright. losing some detail in the headband. a little blown out. i just gave you my rendition so dont mind. i get bored lat at night and try to brushen up on my editing.
$20130312-IMG_7183sm.jpg

i love her iris although i think they look a little processed. are those natural or did you do something to them? lol

i love the 2nd one. i think its just a bit too bright. losing some detail in the headband. a little blown out. i just gave you my rendition so dont mind. i get bored lat at night and try to brushen up on my editing.
View attachment 38812

i love her iris although i think they look a little processed. are those natural or did you do something to them? lol

I appreciate the feedback. I know what you are saying about the exposure. As an experiment I was trying for a soft, overexposed look - maybe I overdid it? I really wanted to get that dramatic, sharp eyes, everything else fading out of focus look. But it's tough with an f2.8 lens. I got as close as I could to her and still achieve focus. I'm thinking about selling some gear and getting either the Canon 85mm f1.2 or the 50mm f1.2.

Regarding the iris, I added some sharpening - that's about it.

eyes appear to be over sharpened...

$eyes.JPG

I hope you shot this in raw. That second one would be terrific but there is a butterfly of totally blown out skin on the bridge of her nose and either side.
I think the top light too bright and has blown out too much texture in the skin.

Lew

I hope you shot this in raw. That second one would be terrific but there is a butterfly of totally blown out skin on the bridge of her nose and either side.
I think the top light too bright and has blown out too much texture in the skin.

Lew

Thanks, yes, I always shoot in raw. I lowered the overall exposure - I'm not quite to the point where I can do spot exposure stuff - I'm afraid I would give her a black eye or something. I also did just a slight sharpening on the eyes. Any better?

$IMG_7183-2sm.jpg

Here's what I think.
It is too contrasty and baby's skin can't handle the shadows well, it gets that dusky look.
I lightened the shadows and slightly darkened the light areas to get the luminosity baby-look, then increased the saturation a bit to get the color back into her skin.

?

IMG_7183-2smlll.jpg

I think a reflector under the baby's face would solve most of your problems here. Her mouth is too shadowy but I don't think the travelers edit is a good solution, the colors look unnatural.

Were you bouncing a flash off the ceiling? The lighting looks too high, for my taste anyway.

I think a reflector under the baby's face would solve most of your problems here. Her mouth is too shadowy but I don't think the travelers edit is a good solution, the colors look unnatural.

Were you bouncing a flash off the ceiling? The lighting looks too high, for my taste anyway.

The baby was originally position a few feet further away. I snapped this as she began to crawl towards me.

Beautiful baby, nice shots!

That is a seriously cute baby. I'm not usually fond of the big flower headbands, but she looks really cute with it.

I'm a little late on the bandwagon, but I do agree with all of the previous comments. I think her skin looks much better in your second edit. I might dodge the shadowy portion on the lower half of her face. But I, personally, would consider this a keeper if I had shot it myself.

I also love her expression in the first shot. The mom really likes those headbands, huh? :)

Most reactions

Back