First Business Meeting

(I've snipped parts out of your original quote to keep things simple)

It's impressive that you're putting so much work into the planning stage. I don't understand what type of photos you will be doing, though - you mention drunk men, sexy-but-professional sales girls, and families in a flea market. I'm just curious, can you show an example of what type of photos you intend to do?

I was just saying what kind of people are at these places. Think of an outside mall that serves alcohol and has a live band playing and you have our location. The following pic is an example of the kind of shots we would take. How people pose and what they wear is up to them. At the location we will be capable of doing portfolio worthy stuff, which my partner will shoot if needed.

every-family-needs-a-picture-like-this-31967-1241728566-18.jpg

I didn't shoot this picture nor did anyone I know, but it's the closest example I could find. People that just want to remember the day or if they are out spur of the moment and want to take pics to hand out to friends and family. I'm sure once word gets out people will plan to come and take pics. We aren't charging an arm and a leg for stuff like this. $10 if they want it on CD.

The sexy women serve a purpose. Go to an attorney's office, some doctor's offices, and many other places. They hire beautiful women as secretaries, assistants, etc. The reason is because people are less guarded around women. Here in Vegas, if a man walks up to you trying to sell something, it is usually a hustle. Not always, but more times than not, and especially in the swap meet.

Some people focus on only the high end customers, but there is lots of money to be made in the low end market from people that want something semi professional, but can't afford to go full professional. I don't see why people have a problem with me catering to that market. When there are 30k people around, I'm sure we can get 200+ people per day to spend $10 per day. Being open 3 days per week will gross about $24k per month. That's on the low end.

Best laugh i have had all Christmas, there is no way you will get that photo with 1 continuos and 1 strobe, looks like he got 30% of **** all

Last edited:
I'm not trying to bash you or anything like that, but I'm not quite understanding this because you say you say you want to do something different, but from what I've read it sounds just like what everyone else in the low end of the photography market is doing. Not only that, there are already some huge names in the low end market as well, like cpi (PictureMe! in walmarts, Sears Portraits, Kiddie Kandids, ect) and Lifetouch (who owns JcPenny portraits, Olen Mills, Target Portraits, Flash!, and a whole ton of other studios). They already have a large amount of the low end market, and Lifetouch is huge on customer service and yields a pretty good product for what they are. It's true that quality doesn't matter much to this market (just price really), so thats not really a problem, but still these companys don't survive on $10 and $20 sales, a large part of their sales are in the $100-$300 range. So that's another problem. So unless your location is like an hour or more away from any of these very established studios, I feel like you're just going to have a very hard time. Don't get me wrong, there's always the chance it will work, but I just wonder if you've given these things I've mentioned any thought?

I'm not trying to bash you or anything like that, but I'm not quite understanding this because you say you say you want to do something different, but from what I've read it sounds just like what everyone else in the low end of the photography market is doing. Not only that, there are already some huge names in the low end market as well, like cpi (PictureMe! in walmarts, Sears Portraits, Kiddie Kandids, ect) and Lifetouch (who owns JcPenny portraits, Olen Mills, Target Portraits, Flash!, and a whole ton of other studios). They already have a large amount of the low end market, and Lifetouch is huge on customer service and yields a pretty good product for what they are. It's true that quality doesn't matter much to this market (just price really), so thats not really a problem, but still these companys don't survive on $10 and $20 sales, a large part of their sales are in the $100-$300 range. So that's another problem. So unless your location is like an hour or more away from any of these very established studios, I feel like you're just going to have a very hard time. Don't get me wrong, there's always the chance it will work, but I just wonder if you've given these things I've mentioned any thought?

We don't need to be an hour away because the location we are in gets over 30,000 people per weekend and 100k people during Christmas season. There isn't a K-Mart, Wal-Mart, or any other photo studio anywhere near our location. Most of our customers live in the immediate area and shop in the immediate area. We've given it a lot more thought than you can imagine. Our overhead is extremely low.

The problem is that people are scared to do stuff because they are so worried about everyone else that is already established. When I ran the clothing store we had, we were blowing WalMart away with sock prices. We were getting socks for $3 per dozen. WalMart sells them $6 per half dozen. We sold them $6 per dozen. WalMart was across the street and we still sold an average of 100 dozen socks per day and that's only 1 item. If I can sell 100 dozen pair of socks across the street form WalMart on a daily basis, I'm sure I can sell paper and ink, especially since none of the major photo studios are around us.

Also consider the rent of many of these places you mentioned. Their rent is probably $1,500+ per month for their space. Our rent is $344 per month. They also have lots of employee overhead. Ours is super low. They need $100 - $300 sales. Also, don't be confused, we are offering low priced pictures, but we also packages at higher prices that will run the $45 - $300 range for those people that can afford more, but we understand that our target market will be spending $10-$20 on average, so our primary business plan is centered around them.

Best laugh i have had all Christmas, there is no way you will get that photo with 1 continuos and 1 strobe, looks like he got 30% of **** all

Who said we only had 1 continuous and 1 strobe? Are you making stuff up just to make your own points now? LOL. We didn't take that pic, and we also have quite a few strobes and continuous.

Who said we only had 1 continuous and 1 strobe? Are you making stuff up just to make your own points now? LOL. We didn't take that pic, and we also have quite a few strobes and continuous.

This is what you wrote : Basically for my 30% share he's bringing in his camera, full strobe set up, which brings us to 2 setups (1 continuous and 1 strobe).

So you meant 1 set of each ? well you can disregard the continuos because they are a waste of time, how do i know ? because i do events photography when needed

This is what you wrote : Basically for my 30% share he's bringing in his camera, full strobe set up, which brings us to 2 setups (1 continuous and 1 strobe).

So you meant 1 set of each ? well you can disregard the continuos because they are a waste of time, how do i know ? because i do events photography when needed

That makes sense now. You came in on the middle of the conversation when we had already established that I had a full continuous set up. My partner was bringing one strobe setup, which is what I clearly said in the post you read. "full strobe set up" is right there. One light is not a full set up. We have 1 full continuous set up and 1 full strobe set up. Not just 1 strobe light and 1 continuous light. LOL. I'm not a pro, but I know enough to know that we need more than 2 lights to run a photo business.

First off. How can you assume that these guys don't know anything about business?

Speaking of which what "business experience" do you have? Socks? Is that it? When you say you ran it doesn't mean you owned it please specify. What happened to those businesses? Did it expand? Did it die? Why or why not?

Also, you said you are gave him 30% of your company before you had an equipment meeting. So how do you know he's worth the 30%?

I agree he's the talent you're like the business agent who should take a cut of his profits not the other way around. Sounds more like a barbershop that charges rent for a place to work.

How old are you? Trying to get motivated on a market that you dot know what kind of demand is out there for? Have you done the research? Who owns the remaining 20%? sounds like you were starting this business with or without this new guy so hopefully you did all the research before you blow that kinda money. Have you even done any events or shots for money?

Oh and the McDonalds analogy was a dumb one. People need to eat. People don't need photographs. Food doesn't necessarily have to be great quality but paid photography does. People also need socks. I know I do.

Oh and this is coming from a business standpoint. These are basic questions I would ask if I were the one funding it. I would be concerned how am I going to get my money back and start making money. How long it's going to take to become profitable? A plan to get there. I suggest you do the same.

Last edited:
First off. How can you assume that these guys don't know anything about business?

Feel free to quote me saying that they don't know anything about business. I never said it or assumed it.

Speaking of which what "business experience" do you have? What happened to those businesses?

Keep reading. Both have already been answered before.

Also, you said you are gave him 30% of your company before you had an equipment meeting. So how do you know he's worth the 30%?

Because I knew he had equipment and experience from working with him on an independent film project. I didn't have his exact equipment list, but I had a general idea. I didn't just find some random guy off the street.

I agree he's the talent you're like the business agent who should take a cut of his profits not the other way around. Sounds more like a barbershop that charges rent for a place to work.

Business agents don't put up the money to start the business, so that analogy makes you sound ignorant. Barbershops charge rent because if you knew how one worked, those guys don't get paid hourly. They get paid from customers. So instead of one barber renting an entire room, a bunch rent a chair from the owner. Otherwise, there wouldn't be barbershops. You don't seem to know much about what you're talking about. LOL

How old are you?

How old are you? Quite irrelevant.

Trying to get motivated on a market that you dot know what kind of demand is out there for? Have you done the research?

Yawn... I have a full business plan. Nope, no research done (sarcasm)

Who owns the remaining 20%?

That was answered long before I mentioned the 30%. If you're going to rant at least read and understand before making yourself out to sound... what's that word?

sounds like you were starting this business with or without this new guy so hopefully you did all the research before you blow that kinda money. Have you even done any events or shots for money?

Yep, it was going to happen whether he was in or not. So what?

Oh and the McDonalds analogy was a dumb one. People need to eat. People don't need photographs. Food doesn't necessarily have to be great quality but paid photography does.

It's only dumb to the dumb. People don't need to eat McDonald's. You can make better healthier food at home for cheaper. McDonald's is more expensive and not as good which applies to my point about marketing. People need to eat, but McDonald's isn't marketing you better food for a cheaper price. They are marketing mediocre food at a higher price. Like I said, if you don't know much about business, you won't get the McDonald's reference. You'll understand when you get older or actually make a lot of money in business.

etnad0 said:
Mostly because you don't understand business.

In response to page 1. You assume he doesn't understand business as you just said I don't which I do. Much more than you I'm sure. But I'm no longer going to debate this. You do what you want. I actually hope you do well. but based on the information you've given and YOUR knowledge of photography it's a huge risk you're taking. But that's a decision that's not mine. Just pointing out some questions you should get answered before you start.

etnad0 said:
Mostly because you don't understand business.

In response to page 1. You assume he doesn't understand business as you just said I don't which I do. Much more than you I'm sure. But I'm no longer going to debate this. You do what you want. I actually hope you do well. but based on the information you've given and YOUR knowledge of photography it's a huge risk you're taking. But that's a decision that's not mine. Just pointing out some questions you should get answered before you start.

Nothing to debate. Furthermore the point of getting the other guy wasn't his equipment. It was his photography knowledge as well. I'm not taking a huge risk at all. It costs $230 to file business license, LLC, and Initial list of officers, $344 for the rent. $574 total. Any equipment we buy we can always sell later on eBay and get the majority if not all of our money back if we don't just keep it an use it ourselves. Business cards are minimal cost. We could go item by item, but my point is, not a huge risk I'm taking at all.

etnad0 said:

So what? You said you are no pro. So you are ready to rent this place out? And start a photography business without the right equipment? Or knowledge of what to get??? Wow... Just wow... If you want to blow money let me know. We'll go to Vegas. At least we won't be stressing.

Did you say you're gonna use CDs?! BAD IDEA! You can use them if you give them to customers for free, but people really want USB sticks. Welcome to 2011 (almost 2012)!! You can get very low priced 512MB USB sticks, and even get them shipped with your company logo on them! Almost everything that takes CDs, you can put a USB stick into, but you can but a USB stick into a lot of things that will not take a CD (even my TV can read a USB stick).

As a business owner, you have probably thought about this, but you should think about it again. Even if you have them as an option that costs a little more, people will buy them.

I'm a 15 year old guy that's been looking at business a lot. I obviously don't know as much as you, but I have been taking high school business courses, and I plan on owning a business later down the road. You may not take my post seriously now, but I think it's a great idea.

etnad0 said:

So what? You said you are no pro. So you are ready to rent this place out? And start a photography business without the right equipment? Or knowledge of what to get??? Wow... Just wow... If you want to blow money let me know. We'll go to Vegas. At least we won't be stressing.

I live in Vegas and $500 is not a lot of money. You people act like I'm risking a fortune. The fact is, he's on board, so it's a moot point now. LOL.

Did you say you're gonna use CDs?! BAD IDEA! You can use them if you give them to customers for free, but people really want USB sticks. Welcome to 2011 (almost 2012)!! You can get very low priced 512MB USB sticks, and even get them shipped with your company logo on them! Almost everything that takes CDs, you can put a USB stick into, but you can but a USB stick into a lot of things that will not take a CD (even my TV can read a USB stick).

As a business owner, you have probably thought about this, but you should think about it again. Even if you have them as an option that costs a little more, people will buy them.

I'm a 15 year old guy that's been looking at business a lot. I obviously don't know as much as you, but I have been taking high school business courses, and I plan on owning a business later down the road. You may not take my post seriously now, but I think it's a great idea.

Awesome idea. I'm bringing it up at the next meeting. It definitely can't hurt to have them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back