First C&C: Lonesome tree series

Ah, I commented before I saw that you updated with your final image. Beautiful series!

I like the series. I even like the variance between the shots. It is enough to give variety without being disjointed since the scene is so simple.

Excellent that you finished the project and have this to take to your new home.

That is a beautiful tree, nice image. It is a shame that you're moving, but as one door closes, another opens!

Sent by philsphoto.com from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a year on display, I've gotten lots of great feedback from guests. I don't ever bring attention to them, but I almost always get a compliment on them.

When people ask "did you take these?" I'm not sure to take that as a compliment or not. Does that mean it's easy to tell, even from an untrained eye, that they look amateurish? Ah well, I'm an amateur so I guess I shouldn't expect otherwise. It would be nice if somebody said something like "how much did you pay for these? They look expensive!"

I've taken many pictures since but unfortunately nothing worth sharing and printing. One hit wonder I guess...

Ah, you just need to come up with a new, equally good concept for your next set, that's all!
Love the series, well done.

Hello,

My first C&C request so be honest but gentle (I love to lurk; great advice here!).

Brief background: I'm mostly in this photography game because of both my desire to capture memories and my perfectionism. This particular series is of a scene I pass every day coming home from work. Sunsets, starry nights, snow, rain, etc, I'm always excited to see "my tree" every day. It's a deceptively natural scene, with the hills hiding the roads, power lines, towers, etc that surround (surprising this is a rather suburban area). I also find it interesting that the farmer decided to keep this tree in the middle of a field. Must be a hassle every year, but nevertheless it remains.

So I decided to embark on my first photography project that doesn't involve my kids, pets, etc. My idea was to capture my tree in each of the 4 seasons. If it turns out OK and good enough for the wife, I'll take down our generic Bed Bath & Beyond painting in the living room and hang it up; four 8x8's arranged in a square if you can visualize.

So here's what I've got so far; 3/4 seasons. I missed out on Fall because we had so much rain they waited to harvest the corn (too tall) until after the leaves had fallen, so it looked like a winter picture. I love my spring with the rays of light. Summer could probably be better when the crops are a bit taller and there's no dirt. Also like the colors of winter (tough to get a snow pic and be safe; have to park on the shoulder of a highway... with snow).

So basically I'll probably get another shot at spring and summer and of course fall, loaded with some advice on composition. I recently got a 11-16mm so might go after a wider FOV, but maybe the current crop is sufficient? Remember, this will be a 2x2 square of squares. Should I be using the rule of 1/3's in this case? Any other advice on composition, processing, etc? Currently the crop is as-taken.

I know this may not be of the quality as 99% of what gets posted here, but I'm going to be happy having "my tree" in my living room instead of a mass-produced generic painting.

Thanks for reading and your help!
I like your project a lot, and agree with Tirediron for the 2x2 arrangement, or the cover of a photo book, but . . . I think it would also be interesting to shoot the same tree from very different vantage points, in different seasons, with cars whizzing by, in beautiful solitude, etc. Sort of a "57 Views of Mount Fuji" approach.

Most reactions

Back