First Camera Advice Needed: Nikon D40 or D60?

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure where to post this, and I dont know if there has been a thread about this already, but I'm wondering what I should get as a starting camera. I've decided to go with Nikon over Canon since a lot of my friends use Nikon and we can share lenses and learn off each other :p Now my problem is picking the right nikon.

I've read that the D40 and D60 are practically the same camera, 'cept the D60 has more megapixels and some more features. But the thing is, there's like... a $100 difference between the two cameras (at least from where i'm planning to get one). Both come with the Kit lens, not VR for D60. :S I don't care that much about the difference in megapixels since i'm not really gonna make any huuuge prints anyway, so i'm really just wondering if that extra $100 is worth it for the features the D60 offers.

Im not sure about lens compatability of the two cameras. What sort of photography are you thinking of doing? Will you need fast focus?

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's photo page if you havent already. Its got some relaly good information.

:p i'm not really sure yet. I'm new to this but Archetectural photography and Street photography definately interest me. And if I ever get the chance, nature photography :p Iunno if this is relevant but I'm probably gonna get a Macro lens as my first lens (not countin the kit lens).

oh yeah that's where I read all the info from :p it says go for the D40 over D60 and D40x, i just want some more opinions you know?

The D40 and D60 both do not have a focus motor drive. This means that it will focus slower on some lenses and make other higher end lenses uncompatable with the body. Just beware of that. Have a check of whehter the macro lens is compatable on the D40 or D60 body.

Personally, id go for the D40. Cheaper with only a little less functionality. You dont get any 'real' important features with the D60 anyways. The lenses that wouldnt fit on D40 wont fit on D60 etc etc..

Since you already focus on Nikon Entry Level DSLR camera, I will recommend you go to dpreview.com and compare the D40 and D60 features.

As mentioned, both camera do not have the in body focus motor. What that really means is the camera cannot "AUTOFOCUS" some Nikon lenses as well as some 3rd party lenses. Most of them will work, it just that you use it as a manual focus lens.

If the lens you are going to get has a focus motor in-lens, it should be fine. i.e. AF-S lens from Nikon, or HSM from Sigma.

In my beginner's opinion, I would say to not let the megapixels influence your decision nearly as much as the lens.

If you're going to go up to the D60, do so cause of the VR lens. Not because it will take bigger photos. Cause both are so adequate, you'll have no problem with "only" having six megapixels.

I've read that the D40 and D60 are practically the same camera, 'cept the D60 has more megapixels and some more features.

By that reasoning, the D40 and the D3X "are practically the same camera, 'cept the D3X has more megapixels and some more features". :lol:

yeah i don't really care about the megapixels that much. I'm actually more concerned about the VR lens. does the VR lens make a $180 difference?! thanks for all the advice btw

I'd say go with the d60 my friend has had a few problems with his d40 with lenses and returned the d40 and got a d60 and loves it way more. I mean its only 100 bucks and you only live once!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back