First camera and now need to edit photos!

Many of us thought your post was a SPAM and responded to that. Sorry for the mistake.
On the bright side, we find out you're actually human

Apparently. But it's okay I guess to be ridiculed to be able to move forward and progress. /s

Anyways, I appreciate the time you took Ysarex to write your response on the RGB scheme! It's very informative and I do have a lot to learn from this forum. When you talk about stripping off the ICC profile, at what point does this really become visible to the viewers? Is it only when printing the photos? When viewing the photos on large screens? My photos will never appear in an art gallery, and most pictures I will just post online.

And Happy New Year everybody!!

Last edited:
Many of us thought your post was a SPAM and responded to that. Sorry for the mistake.
On the bright side, we find out you're actually human

Apparently. But it's okay I guess to be ridiculed to be able to move forward and progress. /s

Anyways, I appreciate the time you took Ysarex to write your response on the RGB scheme! It's very informative and I do have a lot to learn from this forum. When you talk about stripping off the ICC profile, at what point does this really become visible to the viewers? Is it only when printing the photos? When viewing the photos on large screens? My photos will never appear in an art gallery, and most pictures I will just post online.

And Happy New Year everybody!!

Hi Lisa,

When a camera creates a JPEG photo or when a raw file converter creates an RGB photo from the camera raw data the colorspace reference is always and must be embedded in the file. Otherwise the RGB values have no real meaning. They can only identify a color relative to the colorspace. We have different color spaces because different people do different things with photos and there's no one size fits all solution right now -- there may never be.

So here's an illustration: I created this bar of this color, R = 175, G = 75 and B = 150.

$icc_demo.jpg

In theory that should appear as a solid color bar of only one color as it was created only with the numerical values noted above. But I created the bar out of four different blocks in four different colorspaces. When I put them together I did basically what Photo Cat does and ignored the colorspace references -- I stripped off the ICC profiles. Every square in that bar is in theory R = 175, G = 75, B = 150 and if the colorspaces were properly reassigned you'd see a solid color bar.

When I took a look at Photo Cat I saw what it was doing immediately. I uploaded one of my photos that I'd just been working on and saw it instantly change as Photo Cat showed it to me with the colorspace reference removed. You can do that and the change may be subtle enough that you won't notice and you can go ahead and edit the photo and save it. When Photo Cat saves the edit it does not embedded an ICC profile, but leaves the photo untagged. The mass consumer market is unaware of this issue and happy to have their photos trashed on a daily basis. However, every couple of days it seems, one of them breaks lose after getting more involved and shows up here at TPF with a perplexed question that usually goes like this, "I was working on my photo in LR and when I uploaded it to __________ the colors changed. What's with that?!"

Joe

Most reactions

Back